walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm

Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm

Postby Les Stuart » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Thuilm and Sgùrr nan Coireachan

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glenfinnan), Sgùrr Thuilm

Date walked: 30/08/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1440m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last Monday I set off very early in the morning from Glasgow and arrived at the Glenfinnan visitor centre about 9.15am. Because I had not slept well I felt tired on arrival so decided to have a 10 minute nap before setting off, which probably turned into a 20 minute sleep. Woke up and got myself organised and saw a path at the end of the car park and headed for it. After 5 minutes I really woke up as I was standing in the middle of a wet field and realised I should be on the west bank of the river walking up a tarmac road. Turned round back through car park turned right across bridge then right again and onto the tarmac road heading north to the Corryhully Bothy.
After walking about ten minutes a 4x4 land Rover drove up beside me with three occupants all dressed in their tweeds. The driver who I presumed was a gamekeeper asked me where I was going and told him I was doing the two Munros, he then gave me permission to carry on and told me to have a good day. It looked like there was going to be stag shooting somewhere near though I never heard any gun shots throughout the day.
IMG_4714_edited-1.jpg
The walk in

IMG_4715_edited-1.jpg
The Lodge

I carried on up the road and came to the junction ,where left took you to the Glenfinnan Lodge and right to the bothy. Carried on past the bothy for about 2km and picked up the stalkers path to begin the climb to Sgurr nan Coireachan.
IMG_4717_edited-1.jpg
South

IMG_4720_edited-1.jpg

IMG_4721.jpg

IMG_4723_edited-1.jpg
Deer

This was a good path and gaining height fairly quickly and the higher I got the steeper it became. At about the 700m height there was a handfull of dear fairly close and the views began to open out especially south towards the viaduct. With the path becoming steeper and rocky it reminded me of Knoydart as I had to use my hands at a couple of short sections. After dropping down from the 852m mark it was then the last pull to the summit and a welcome break for food, drink and to take in the views. It was a hot day even at the summit with no wind and it was very silent and you could hear your brain tick over.
IMG_4724.jpg
The Sea

IMG_4726.jpg
Heading to the Summit

IMG_4727.jpg
Looking East from Sgurr nan Coireachan

IMG_4728.jpg
The Cuillin

Took photos in various directions then set off east along the ridge heading for Sgurr Thuilm. On descending from the summit I met my first walker of the day as he was doing the walk anti clockwise and had a chat before going on our way. The walk along the ridge was tiring as there was several steep downs and ups until you hit the last ascent to the summit where I met my second walker of the day also doing it anti clockwise. Again had food, drink took photos and enjoyed the scenery as there are not many days you walk with such clear visiblity.
IMG_4730.jpg
Sgurr na Ciche

IMG_4732.jpg

IMG_4736.jpg
Summit Sgurr Thuilm looking West

IMG_4734.jpg
Looking West

IMG_4737.jpg
The Descent

IMG_4739.jpg
The Viaduct

Set off south then south west to head back to the bothy before picking up the tarmac road to head back to the viaduct then the car park which was full of tourists visiting the monument.
A great day though harder than I thought it would be, possibly because of the heat.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Sgurr nan Coireachan and Sgurr Thuilm

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:39 pm

I did this walk recently and thought it was quite a hard day. That ridge connecting the two Munros is hard going with all the ups and downs! But the views are great.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby MarkD » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Every walk has its moments for all the right reasons and sometimes all the wrong reasons, great reprt and some very nice pics. Hope I can include this walk in my agenda sometime in the near future.
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:46 pm

MarkD wrote:Every walk has its moments for all the right reasons and sometimes all the wrong reasons, great reprt and some very nice pics. Hope I can include this walk in my agenda sometime in the near future.

Yes it is worth making the effort to get there especially in good weather.
Les Stuart

Postby Les Stuart » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:47 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:I did this walk recently and thought it was quite a hard day. That ridge connecting the two Munros is hard going with all the ups and downs! But the views are great.

Yes I agree, it was hard going though enjoyable.
Les Stuart

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland