walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cleuch via Alva Glen

Ben Cleuch via Alva Glen

Postby Alan S » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 15/02/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 770m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

sunday 15/02/09

on reading dougs report on ben cleuch a few weeks ago this caught my eye as this was my first hillwalk around 12 years ago and when this site introduced the graham map i ticked this off but when seeing this i realised i had actually been nowhere near ben cleuch (dont know where i was but it certainly wasnt here)
i had planned to do a munro in february but this was the priority to put my mind at rest.
im just adding this to your report doug hope you dont mind but didnt want to put another one in so close to yours.

i decided to take a different route up the alva glen starting at the car park opposite the golf course and following the burn for around 1 hour till i came to where another stream joined the alva burn and there was no longer a path to follow.
this was a very enjoyable route except from the deep snow in places which caught me by surprise as at some points it was up to the knees in the areas not caught by the sun.
on crossing the burn i followed a fence line opposite a 4x4 track to the north side of ben ever and then on to ben cleuch
on the return there was a really steep hill back down which met the track it was covered in snow so it was on with the spare waterproofs and slid back down in no time like a big wean great fun.
i took a different route back after this following the 4x4 track bringing you down the opposite side of the glen path which eventually brought me back to the car park.
all in i was about 5 hours with plenty of stops
i was saying when i got home how much i enjoyed it even compared to doing a munro ive maybe been concentrating to much on trying to tick off munros last year forgetting you can enjoy corbetts,grahams etc just as good.
didnt think there was much point putting pics of the summit as it would be pretty pointless as i couldnt see 10ft in front of me just a few of the glen

alan :D
alva glen footpath looking towards zig zag path.JPG
deer.JPG
looking back town the glen.JPG
on the 4x4 track looking towards sunny grangemouth.JPG
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland