walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

Postby baggervance » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 05/09/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 943m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Made plans on the Saturday with Mrs Bagger that if the weather was good on the Sunday we would take the dogs out for a good walk. This was to make up for the fact that my golf was crap on the Saturday :lol:

I have the Cicerone guide to the Munros and decided to follow the route given for Ben Vorlich basically up to the dam and straight up. No path to follow once on this side of the hill (at least not that I could see) until I reach the tourist route on the ridge. Left Mrs Bagger (she'll walk a marathon on the flat but won't climb a flight of stairs :? )and Beano & Marley at the dam. She would walk the dogs back to the car at the visitors centre and let them play with the speed boats whilst she read a book.

Started off well but quickly thought ~ bloody hell this is steep :shock: I could see what looked like a ridge about 400 feet up and said to myself ~ if it doesn't get any easier then I coming back down. This was serious roll-to-your death stuff. As I struggled to gain height the sheep all around looked unperturbed at the steep angle. I'm sure mehhh is sheep for - What's this idiot up too? I reached the first 'mini' ridge having used hands and feet (and knees) all the way. At this point I was relieved that I could now make progress on my two feet only occasionally steadying myself with hands. As I looked up I picked a point on what seemed to be a flat spot on the main ridge and headed toward it. Again the going got steep. As I reached the ridge and looked back I couldn't help but think if I tripped how could I stop myself rolling to the bottom and straight into the Loch!!

Anyway, I collapsed on my back on the tourist path and caught my breadth. The rest was fairly easy to the trig and the true summit (apart from the 50mph winds). Met a couple of other guys, one nice older gent had come up from Ardlui but was heading back down the same path as myself to rejoin the dam road. Boy does the thighs take a pounding on the way down. Still suffering :lol:

Got back to the rather boring road out and Mrs B had driven the car to the gate so saved the feet from pounding more tarmac back to the centre.

Weather was warm with the clouds tantalisingly flirting the 3000ft ceiling, so from the top you sometimes caught a view. Still thoroughly enjoyed the climb as the first part felt a bit like pioneering because I couldn't find a track.

Will be back at the Sept weekend to climb Ben Vane (perhaps conventionally this time!!)
Attachments
IMG00011-20100905-1449.jpg
IMG00009-20100905-1443.jpg
IMG00006-20100905-1356.jpg

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:37 pm

That brings back the memories baggervance. This was my first Munro and your right it's very steep from that side.
Like yourself I was too keen to get going and set off at too quick a pace, suffering pretty soon on the slopes.

I started a little bit back from the dam and there is a path (apparently marked by a small pile of stones on the tarmac edge). I missed it of course so ended up going cross-country for the first half of the slope. Legs certainly were aching after. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby woodblock79 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 pm

Hey bagger!
Liked the report - quality!
Was up this way today (although went for Ben Vane rather than Vorlich) - probably heading back later in the week to take on Vorlich....did you just set off straight up the hillside from the dam....was there any sign of a path up earlier from the track?
Top man
Dan
woodblock79

Munros:17   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:17 pm

out of the 10 Munro's i've attempted, this was the only one that's defeated me. End of a long week and it was an "easy option" in place of Ben More and it's steep climb. Doh!

Glad you struggled too (in a nice way) but bravo to you for pressing on.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby icemandan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:24 pm

Thats a tough way up. Up from Ardlui and down the Little Hills ridge is easier. Great report though.
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:27 am

Big steep bugger this one isn't it? :D One of my favourites from earlier this year. Still had some snow on it when I was up there. Had a great day. :D well done mate.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby baggervance » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:04 am

woodblock79 wrote:Hey bagger!
Liked the report - quality!
Was up this way today (although went for Ben Vane rather than Vorlich) - probably heading back later in the week to take on Vorlich....did you just set off straight up the hillside from the dam....was there any sign of a path up earlier from the track?
Top man
Dan

Hi Woodblock (Dan)

If you really want the sheep to laugh at you then head straight up the dam road. Option 1 (easy) is keep an eye out for a small cairn on the road to the right (about 1000yds from dam) ~ this was the way I came down. IF you want to do the Cicerone route head all the way up to the dam and climb up what appears to be the start of a very faint path (just back from the main wall of the dam) which allows you to pick your way up to a small concrete plinth with graffitti written on it (clever sheep up here :) ). From here if it is clear you will see a 'mini' ridge about a few hundred feet above and beyond a flat spot on the main ridge ~ way way way up high (I made this my ultimate line of climb) It gets easy after the 'mini' ridge but then steepens all the way up to the main ridge (do not drop your piece box as you will not have a chance of catching it :lol: ) On reaching the flat spot you will collapse on the tourist route and your thighs will resemble Chris Hoy's

Enjoy - the weather is meant to be good this week. Hoping to do Ben Vane during the Sept weekend

Bagger
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland