walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Streap

Streap

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:42 pm

Route description: Streap, near Glenfinnan

Corbetts included on this walk: Streap

Date walked: 05/09/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Streap looks wonderful from Glen Cuirnean.
IMG_1895.JPG
Streap
I had spotted it on my way towards Cape Wrath 3 years before and was delighted to be tackling it at last. It had rained in the night but the day promised to be reasonably clear if a tad windy. Ran out of gas so not a good start to the day, without a cuppa. :cry: We parked at the forestry car park at NM929798 and a short way back up the road turned off up Gleann Dubh Lighe. Tip: don't try to get through the pedestrian gate on the left hand side if you have a rucksack on - you will get wedged in! :( The walk along the glen is very pleasant with lots of little waterfalls. After crossing a bridge you arrive at the bothy and a bit further on the glen widens out and there are views of Streap.
IMG_2359.JPG
Streap from the bridge
The path crosses another bridge over a deep pool - of which more later - and then just about disappears. So we ploughed up through tussocky, wet grass to the bealach between Beinn an Tuim (why isn't it a Corbett?) and Meall an Uillt Chaoil. There were some little snakes in the grass. Didn't see them clearly but they were small and greyish and moving very fast - much faster than me! Then on up to the summit of Meall an Uillt Chaoil and along the undulating ridge to Streap.
IMG_2363.JPG
Along the ridge
The ridge gets quite narrow as you get near to the summit
IMG_2364.JPG
Near the summit
and then all of a sudden you are at the summit cairn. The wind was very strong at this point so we didn't hang around but went down across some rocky ground before climbing steeply up to Streap Comhlaidh.
IMG_2367.JPG
Streap from the start of the ascent to Streap Comhlaidh
I found the descent down the south ridge quite taxing on the knees and was glad to reach the path by the burn again.
IMG_2368.JPG
Going down
The ground was then rather boggy as we made our way back to the bridge with the deep pool. It shimmered in the sunlight and looked so cool and inviting I couldn't resist. All it needed was a couple of minutes immersion :wink: and I was sufficiently revived to tackle the walk out. The first cup of tea of the day at Glenfinnan Station was most enjoyable (with a scone, only 2 quid!). :) And then the long drive home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Streap

Postby kerrera » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:01 pm

One of my favourite hills. :) Tea and scones at the station, nice one.
kerrera
Scrambler

Munros:45   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:19   

Postby mountain coward » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:52 am

The last pics I saw of the steep ridge of Streap looked okay - yours make it look scary again! Sob!
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:54 pm

It's fine. You can walk below the ridge line most of the time.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Barnety2000 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Looks like a very enjoyable walk, thanks for this! :D I am less than familiar with the hills around Glenfinnan, but now this will definitely be one for the future! :)
Barnety2000
Stravaiging

Munros:128   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:4

Postby walk aboot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Looks great, nice photos :) .

I haven't been walking around Glenfinnan before either. I'm going there for the day next weekend (boat trip), got a feeling I'll be back after that 8) .
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby mountain coward » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:54 pm

walk aboot wrote:Looks great, nice photos :) .

I haven't been walking around Glenfinnan before either. I'm going there for the day next weekend (boat trip), got a feeling I'll be back after that 8) .

We know where you're going! :D I'd have loved to have come with you on that boat trip to see 'the house'

Thanks for the reassurance on the 'arete' Boots :D
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland