walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair


by Mal Grey » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair, Sgurr Ban

Date walked: 28/02/2017

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1200m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).


Re: Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:56 am

Great stuff Mal. Brilliant photos. I did that two hills and Beinn Tarsuinn also a few years ago. We went in from the same point as you and camped at Loch an Nid. It was one of my best but hardest days on the hills.Had planned to do the Corbett also which was a munro at the time but was too tired at the summit of Sgurr Ban. It was May and summer conditions. Two weeks later we went back and did the Corbett on its own in poor winter like conditions. We met three guys at Shenvall on the way out. They had been holed up in the bothy for a few days hopping to get a break to do the six :shock: .It wasn't going to happen.

The slabs are brilliant walking in dry conditions and a fantastic setting. :D
Cheers :D
User avatar
Sunset tripper
 
Posts: 2262
Joined: Nov 3, 2013
Location: Inverness

Re: Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Enjoyed reading that - and to see what we missed when we were up shortly before you doing Groban & Beinn Bheag in clag. Lovely to see the glories of the Fisherfields/An Teallach in white coats
User avatar
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger
 
Posts: 1922
Munros:217   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:377   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
Location: Greenock

Re: Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:45 am

jacob wrote:I've been hanging around on the "outside Scotland" forum a lot (the downtempo suits me better :lol: ) but I just couldn't ignore this post. Very impressive set of photos. :clap:


I spend most of my time hanging around outside Scotland, so know what you mean. Thank you.


Sunset tripper wrote:Great stuff Mal. Brilliant photos. I did that two hills and Beinn Tarsuinn also a few years ago. We went in from the same point as you and camped at Loch an Nid. It was one of my best but hardest days on the hills.Had planned to do the Corbett also which was a munro at the time but was too tired at the summit of Sgurr Ban. It was May and summer conditions. Two weeks later we went back and did the Corbett on its own in poor winter like conditions. We met three guys at Shenvall on the way out. They had been holed up in the bothy for a few days hopping to get a break to do the six :shock: .It wasn't going to happen.

The slabs are brilliant walking in dry conditions and a fantastic setting. :D
Cheers :D


Thanks. Going back to walk the slabs is definitely something that appeals. Think I could get a mountain bike a bit further than the lodge, but some of the going would be either rough or shingly even before there.

A chap we bumped into as we started walking in didn’t know about the “demotion” of Chlaidheimh, but having turned back after Sgurr Ban due to the slippery slabs and a lack of winter gear, was pleased to hear he hadn’t missed a Munro. :D


weaselmaster wrote:Enjoyed reading that - and to see what we missed when we were up shortly before you doing Groban & Beinn Bheag in clag. Lovely to see the glories of the Fisherfields/An Teallach in white coats


Amazing area, even more magical under snow. Even your more modest pair looked impressive. Thanks.
User avatar
Mal Grey
Wanderer
 
Posts: 3639
Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Joined: Dec 1, 2011
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Re: Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:00 pm

What wonderful weather and landscapes beautifully captured. Beyond awesome. :clap:
User avatar
dogplodder
 
Posts: 3760
Munros:232   Corbetts:57
Grahams:17   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23
Joined: Jul 16, 2011

Re: Fisherfield in Winter – Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:02 pm

dogplodder wrote:What wonderful weather and landscapes beautifully captured. Beyond awesome. :clap:


Thank you, DP.
User avatar
Mal Grey
Wanderer
 
Posts: 3639
Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Joined: Dec 1, 2011
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous



Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 70 guests