walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

walk to Yesnaby Castle

walk to Yesnaby Castle

Postby litljortindan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Date walked: 04/03/2017

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 10m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A bit tired after my journey and walk to the cliffs of the Berry the previous day, I was almost glad to see rain forecast for the afternoon; a good excuse for taking it easy and getting the earlier ferry back to the mainland but still with an hour spare for a wee morning walk.
Yesnaby Castle fit the bill, at least going by the map. When I got there though the impressive scenery and gusty and slippery conditions made me think I might have to take the later ferry after all.
Quite an invigorating if short walk along the cliff tops saw me at Yesnaby Castle within the alotted half hour. Didn't feel any great compulsion to continue to North Gaulton Castle though.
About turning, I reflected on the fact of being off the mainland and away from home overnight for the first time since my kidney stone episode last August and how, around that very time, I had been contemplating a trip to Hoy. But something had held me back then and I'm so glad things turned out the way they did or it could have been quite a health disaster.
Just made the early ferry.

ImageDSCN7567 by John Little, on Flickr
View from hotel room on Hoy.

ImageDSCN7569 by John Little, on Flickr
Former house and boat near Longhope.

ImageDSCN7575 by John Little, on Flickr
A lot of undercut cliffs.

ImageDSCN7576 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7578 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7579 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7580 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7582 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7585 by John Little, on Flickr
Small waterfall near Yesnaby Castle.

ImageDSCN7586 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7588 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7589 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7590 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7592 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7593 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7595 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7596 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7598 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7599 by John Little, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7602 by John Little, on Flickr
Marwick Head on the horizon -saved for another day.

ImageDSCN7604 by John Little, on Flickr
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: walk to Yesnaby Castle

Postby MrsOrr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:44 am

Oooooooo thanks for the brilliant photos. I'm heading to Orkney at the end of next month. This is on the ever growing list of "must see" places.
MrsOrr
Bird-watcher

Re: walk to Yesnaby Castle

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:16 am

MrsOrr wrote:Oooooooo thanks for the brilliant photos. I'm heading to Orkney at the end of next month. This is on the ever growing list of "must see" places.

Would've liked to have spent more time there -plenty more walking north and south of the small stretch I covered and endlessly fascinating rocks. Care needed if wet though!
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland