walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Earl's Seat from Strathblane

Earl's Seat from Strathblane

Postby jameski » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:34 pm

Route description: Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat, near Killearn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 17/02/2015

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 724m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Itching for a day out but not enough time for a major excursion, I cast about to see what might be within striking distance from our new home on the Clyde - the Campsies looked to fit the bill. Instead of following the WH route, I started from Strathblane - after taking the train to Balloch and continuing by bus - maybe an hour thirty journey all told.

By 11am I was following the Campsie Dene road past the Cantywheery farmhouse and then through the gate and into the Craigbrock Wood. Once out of the woods the weather took a turn (for the better) and it was possible to catch a glimpse back towards Clydebank.

DSC09341.JPG
scenic Clydebank

Skirting the slopes of Dumfoyn I made for the Drumiekill Knowes which afforded a lovely view of Dumgoyne and Loch Lomond.

DSC09343.JPG
Dumgoyne from the Knowes

DSC09346.JPG
Loch Lomond

Headed on up to Gareloch Hill and eventually Earl’s Seat, shrouded in dense cloud, where I suddenly realised I was starving. Not the nicest spot for lunch but once out of the worst of the wind it was OK.

DSC09349.JPG
Earl's Seatward

Instead of retracing my steps I descended down the north slope of Dumgoyne to Glengoyne distillery grounds where a massive grouse crossed my path without making a sound, clearly in a hurry to get somewhere - far away from me no doubt.

DSC09352.JPG
the famous grouse

After this I picked up the WHW for a bit around Dumgoyach but then heading straight along an unnamed path which connects a little further on to the B821 sealed road. Followed this up to Strathblane for a coffee at the hotel, then back to Balloch and the train. All in all a very easy half day on some nice grassy hills, though one could probably get turned around quite easily in poor visibility.

DSC09360.JPG
Attachments

EarlsSeat.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jameski
Rambler

Munros:7   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland