walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane (really should have known better!)

Ben Vane (really should have known better!)

Postby woodblock79 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 07/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast said strong gales, driving rain and poor visibility but.....diary said DAY OFF and i really didn't want to stay in a watch Phillip & Holly on This Morning!

Parked at Inveruglas and set off up the common route as outlined in most of the posts for Ben Vane....worth noting that the path marked on the OS maps leaving the track early in the walk actually comes a lot earlier than shown.
Very boggy early in the walk and a few small landslides across the path a bit further up - route is pretty easy to follow but strong winds for the 2nd half of the walk tended to slow me right down as I got to the scrambly sections further up.

Although this is the lowest of the Munro's, when you climb it in the clouds it does seem to have a few false summits which raise your hopes then dash them cruelly - had to laugh at myself as i ploughed through the clag, rain running down my nose and wind beating a "Ride of the Valkyries" tattoo across my exposed face! (Thought this was one of the easy ones!)

Reached the summit after 2 1/2 hours and decided not to hang around too long on top! Quick stop out of the wind on the way down for left over Thai green curry and hot chocolate at 3000feet - i've had better meals to be honest!
Had originally intended to head down the NW ridge before turning South and heading up Beinn Ime but couldn't see more than a couple of metres and was already pretty battered and bruised so thought i'd not be greedy and just take what the mountain gave me - back down to fight another day!
Views make it all worth while! Ben Vane, Sept 2010.JPG

Thai Green Curry @ 3000ft! (2).JPG

Slipped and slided my way down - no points for artistic impression here - and was nearly down when i came across a group of 3 lads heading up (1st humans all day!)- got to be honest i was a bit concerned for them as, although the weather was easing slightly, it was a pretty naughty day and they didn't seem all that sure where they were headed - done my best to pass on anything useful and then left them slogging into the mist.....

Back to the car and home for tea & crumpets - Scotland's ace!....And i'm English!
woodblock79

Munros:17   

Re: Ben Vane (really should have known better!)

Postby MarkD » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 pm

Ugly weather indeed. I did this walk on the 3rd from a slighlty different route and the weather was far kinder with some great views. Hope the forecast for Ben Vorlich is favourable for you.

Cheers
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Grahams:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 am

what a shame, the views from there are great. done this one a few months ago and weather was good. Very steep in places and yeah very boggy at the bottom. Great wee hill though, one of my favourites so far. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby 2dalmatians » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Thinking about this one for the weekend (or at least was until some lowlife - not the council towtruck - stole the car last night as I watched a near suicidal performance at Hampden). Shame the weather was so poor - would have liked to see pictures to Ben Ime to get my bearings (was up there last week). Well done anyway
Last edited by 2dalmatians on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby MarkD » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:48 pm

2dalmatians wrote:Thinking about this one for the weekend (or at least was until some lowlife - not the concil towtruck - stole the car last night as I watched a near suicidal performance at Hampden). Shame the weather was so poor - would have liked to see pictures to Ben Ime to get my bearings (was up there last week). Well done anyway

I walked Ben Vane last Friday, not the tourist route though. Pics might help

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7033

Cheers
MarkD
Ambler

Munros:15   Corbetts:4
Grahams:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby 2dalmatians » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks Mark D, great pics
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland