walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Typical March day in D&G

Typical March day in D&G

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:18 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Millfore

Donalds included on this walk: Millfore

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 450m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

First time out for a couple of weeks and first Donald for a month or so, decided to utilise a family visit to Englandshire with a slight detour on the way home via Dumfries & Galloway. For anyone who has been in D&G it is a part of Scotland that has changed little and is kind of stuck in a time warp - in a nice way :wink:
Once again I had looked at all the WR's and noticed that nobody had tackled Millfore the way I was going to attempt. I plotted out the route and uploaded it to my phone and to be honest because of the perfect weather conditions I hardly needed to look at my phone :lol:
One thing I kind of forgot in doing my detour was how far off the beaten track the SW is, when I put the satnav on to get me home the forecast was 2hrs 30mins to do the 130miles. When travelling around Scotland unless you are going north to south, apart from the M8 (if you are unlucky enough to have to use that excuse for a motorway) then expect to go round the houses and definitely not in a direct line. I had forgotten how 'bendy' the roads are and as it was a nice day the bikers were out in force throwing their bikes into the corners, I just wish they wouldn't lean over quite so far sometimes from the middle of the road - am sure any bikers on here understand what I mean :wink:
Anyway back to Dumfries & Galloway, I set off from Cheshire just before 8.30am and was walking before midday.

Image Clatteringshaws Loch

I had to stop when I saw the view across the loch, it's not everyday in Scotland that there is hardly a breath of wind and the reflections across the loch caught my eye so a few photo's had to be taken 8)

Image My parking spot for the day, I have to confess I did drive a bit further up the track than one is allowed :lol: There is a large parking area about 400m back down the track :wink:

Image Yes that is Millfore looks quite far away but it wasn't really :wink:

On the map you will notice that this area looks like a dense jungle with a track cutting through it, however like most forests at the moment, the trees are almost non existent, de-forestation is the "in thing". I don't have a problem with it, but surely there must be a better way of tidying up once all the harvesting is complete :roll:

Image A low level look back and across to Craignell

Image Same shot from a bit higher up

Image Plan is to head up via the gully in the distance

Image Was kind of steep as this shot demonstrates :lol:

Image Looking back down again

Image Looking east

Image North east(ish)

Image South and if you look carefully you will see some of the Lake District hills

Image Solway Firth

Image Wouldn't be the Borders without the odd turbine enhancing the view

Image Another farm :wink:

Image East from the summit trig

Image Loch Dee

Image Looking across to Curleywee

Image West(ish)

Image Curleywee zoomed, looks quite impressive

Image Took a few summit selfies using the timer, need a bit more practice :lol: This is a good one of rocks in front!!

Image Loch Dee again

Image Curleywee again zoomed

After taking quite a few photo's and enjoying the lovely March sun it was time to head back. Most of the higher ground was kind of squidgy, which suggests that there had been snow and as we all know descending on wet grass is a recipe for a wet backside. Only one slip and that was whilst traversing and only ended up with a very soggy left knee :lol: :lol:

Image The way down via the gully I came up

Image Looking back and farewell Millfore :clap:

Image The way back into the forest (what's left of it)

Image Nice background behind where the car was parked

Image Spotted these growing out of the ground on the way to Moniaive :lol:

It was great to get out especially is such fantastic weather, I was contemplating about heading east to tackle the Marilyn "Craignell" however after studying the 'lie of the land' from above the approach to Craignell looks very undulating, so I binned that idea :( If anyone has plans to tackle Millfore in the future, I would recommend this route, great reward for not alot of effort. Had I not spent quite so long on the summit I could have been back at the car in less than 2 hours :lol:
Next for me will be back to the local area :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Typical March day in D&G

Postby rockhopper » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:23 pm

A great weekend to be out and about. Interesting route - have been looking at options for the hills down here so must bear this in mind. Think I've just about had my fill of Donalds for the time being though - was over to the NE of you - some pretty tough ground conditions (compared to the days of wandering the munros :roll: :wink: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Nice to see the Solway from there I bet and a peek of the Lakes Fells with snow on top. Well done on the single soggy knee. That speaks of experience and skill, traversing or not.
P.S. Having lived in D&G for my formative years I can appreciate the grim humour in the title.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby desmondo1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Nice one I intend to do it in November so that was helpful. Great snaps particularly nice as it is hard to remember what blue skies look like, grey, windy and wet I know very well this year.
desmondo1
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:100
Fionas:95   Donalds:89+38
Sub 2000:161   Hewitts:1
Islands:16

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland