walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dolphins, waterfalls, cathedral and firth - where am I?

Dolphins, waterfalls, cathedral and firth - where am I?

Postby dogplodder » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:37 pm

Route description: Chanonry Point and Swallows Den, Fortrose

Date walked: 09/03/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Since we were starting the walk around the time of high tide (meant to be the most likely time to see dolphins feeding off the point) I drove straight to Chanonry Point to park there. This parking area has expanded a lot since the first time I came which is helpful since its reputation as the best place in the UK to see dolphins can make it very crowded. The water level was up to the sea wall so we took the path to the left of the bungalow.

Fort George from Chanonry Point
IMG_2449-large.JPG

Across the bay to Rosemarkie
IMG_2450-large.JPG

A new information area has been built for the benefit of visitors with picnic tables and information boards.

Information board
IMG_2452-largec.JPG

I've been here many times to walk the dogs and have seen dolphins a few times but didn't see any today. Often when I've come there has been a crowd of folk standing with huge camera lenses so it didn't seem a particularly good sign there wasn't a soul on the beach when we got there! One time Chris Packham was there. I didn't see dolphins that day either but it was quite entertaining watching Chris and his film crew waiting for something to happen.

Bottlenose dolphins on a previous occasion
DSC01378-largec.jpg

Lighthouse
IMG_2453-large.JPG

Beach walk to Rosemarkie
IMG_2455-large.JPG

We set off along the sand and then diverted to the path along the dunes. As we neared Rosemarkie we saw a number of Brent geese feeding at the water's edge.

Brent geese
IMG_2458-largec.JPG

The next photo was taken a couple of weeks later (on Saturday 25th March) which shows a surprisingly empty beach (considering the kind of day it was) and a beautiful sky.

Rosemarkie beach
17434725_10154475540218589_6854369096579589720_o-large.jpg

Road along seafront
IMG_2456-large.JPG

We walked to the end of the road and turned left up past the Plough Inn and along the Rosemarkie to Cromarty Road with its pretty row of whitewashed cottages.

Cottages
IMG_2460-largec.JPG

Before turning left up the Swallow's Den path we had a choice to make. My two companions had never been to the waterfalls in Fairy Glen so since it wasn't much of a detour we decided to take it.

Entrance to Fairy Glen
IMG_2461-largec.JPG

For contrast here's Moira and dogs on a previous occasion in October 2014
DSC_1845-large.JPG

Fairy Glen in autumn
DSC_1853-large.JPG

Lower falls October 2014
DSC_1856-large.JPG

Lower falls carrying more water March 2017
IMG_2463-largec.JPG

IMG_2465-largec.JPG

But the autumn colours are lovely so it's a choice of going when the falls are more spectacular in spring or when the surroundings are more attractive in autumn.

Upper falls October 2014
DSC_1864-large.JPG

Upper falls March 2017
IMG_2467-largec.JPG

Fairy Glen bridge October 2014
DSC_1867-large.JPG

For speed of return we crossed the bridge and climbed the steps to the Cromarty road and walked back down to the start of the path to Swallow's Den which was, as predicted, muddy in places. We had planned to stop for a snack somewhere along this stretch with a view over the firth but were out again on the minor road at the other side before we found anywhere suitable!

Chanonry Point from Swallow's Den
IMG_2471-largec.JPG

The road took us steeply down to the centre of Fortrose where we were easily lured into the very pleasant Fortrose Cafe for Cappacino and Rocky Road to set us up for the final stage of the walk. We took a slight detour off the main road to have a look at the ruins of Fortrose cathedral and then followed the WH route down to the harbour.

Fortrose cathedral and a tree that looks almost human
IMG_2475-largec.JPG

Fortrose harbour
IMG_2478-largec.JPG

IMG_2479-largec.JPG

From the harbour we climbed the hill and turned right, passing Fortrose Academy on the left. I heard from a former pupil there that less than exciting subjects were made bearable by watching the firth for dolphins instead!

There has been a school at Chanonry since the early medieval period but the Academy itself dates from 1791. The earliest part of the present school was erected in 1891 but little now remains of the original part of the present building apart from the clock tower.

Early blossom and clock tower
IMG_2481-large.JPG

Opposite the new houses on the left we turned on to a grassy path that led into Fortrose caravan park. We stayed close to the shoreline walking along the edge of the golf course, watching out for flying objects, until we reached the Chanonry Point car park where we'd left the car.

Looking west from east side of Chanonry Ness
IMG_2482-largec.JPG

Including the detour to the falls and visit to cafe this circuit took 4 hours and is a most enjoyable walk with much to see at every point, with only one short steep, muddy section. Highly recommended.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Dolphins, waterfalls, cathedral and firth - where am I?

Postby dogplodder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:53 pm

Another spectacular sky
IMG_2483-largec.JPG
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland