walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathconon Sun

Strathconon Sun

Postby jackfrost » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:28 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn and Meallan nan Uan, Strathconon

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallan nan Uan, Sgùrr a' Mhuilinn

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 14.2 km

Ascent: 1160m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first visit to Strathconon except for a wee bit of cragging at Scatwell last century. What a pleasant surprise.

I parked on the grass beside the sheepfank at Strathanmore beside another couple of vehicles. The weather was fine blue skies except a little breezy at this level. Onto the heathery hillside for a long steep slog up to Creag Ruadh with wonderful views opening with each metre climbed.

P1100314.JPG
Sgurr a Mhuillin from the slopes of Creag Ruadh

I scrambled up the rocky protruberance of the Creag only to disturb another walker and his enthusiastic labrador who were taking a break in the sun. Shortly after leaving the car, I had noticed a dropped doglead lying on the ground - it was this walker's. He would collect it on descent.

From the summit of Creag Ruadh the strong norwest wind buffeted me along the lovely ridge to the final rise to Meallan an Uan. The views to the west and north included Maoile Lundaidh, Torridon, the Fannichs, Ben Dearg et al, Wyvis.

P1100317.JPG
Meallan nan Uan from Creag Ruadh

P1100318.JPG

P1100319.JPG
Looking back to Creag Ruadh from Meallan nan Uan

After Meallan nan Uan I continued northwest along the soggy 700m contour and then up Sgurr a Ghlas Leathaid which is a hill I've stared at many times from the road to Achnasheen. Finally I was on it!! As suspected, the views were even more impressive overlooking StrathBran, the Fannichs foremost.

P1100337.JPG
Sgurr nan Clach Geala in the Fannichs

Looking back to where I'd come from, Meallan nan Uan felt distant, but I could see my next Corbett would be easily attained with the wind at my back and an easy angled slope. I picked up the other outlying summit, Sgurr a Choire-rainich, before being blown south east to Sgurr a Mhuillin.

P1100332.JPG
Sgurr a Mhuillin on the left.

Off the summit of the 2nd Corbett, the slopes were steep and craggy, but the ground was forgiving enough to not feel dangerous. Once on more level ground, there were some frustrating peat-hags to negotiate before crossing the shoulder of Creag Ruadh again and descending to the start point. On the way down the final slopes, I passed three unmarked shielings, just tiny outlines of buildings in the heather. Looked very old. Not on any map or any Canmore records but can be seen from aerial view.

strathconon1.jpg
jackfrost
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:188
Fionas:37   Donalds:61
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:38

Re: Strathconon Sun

Postby rockhopper » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Haven't got to these hills yet but does look like a good walk especially on a day like this - just hope to get weather like yours when/if I do :crazy: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland