walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More Assynt with local info but

Ben More Assynt with local info but

Postby ridgerunner » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:47 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 26/03/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Booked a b&b in Lochinver two days before the walk and was informed that Suilven as seen from his lounge had a lot of snow so i would need ice axe and crampons for Ben More Assynt. WH could give him a job!
So i was looking forward to find most of the rough upper hillsides covered in smooth snow.
BUT 2 days of glorious weather probably melted 90% of the snow but there was still enough to make the hills look great and by flitting between patches of soft snow made the descent very easy on the knees.
Climbed Conival and Ben More Assynt by the usual route starting in Inchnadamph.
Biked in for 2 Km that probably saved about 30 minutes in total but more importtanly gave a pleasant free wheel descent at the end of a long day.
The path was very easy to follow and kept much closer to the river than i had expected.
P1000980.JPG
Looking back to start with Loch Assynt visible

P1000982.JPG
Conival on the right, heading to the bealach

P1000984.JPG
rock band

The main path cuts through the rock band about 10 metres to the right of the Allt a'Choinne Mhill but there are some better scranbling options further to the right.

P1000985.JPG
Looking down from the bealach

Canisp is in the centre of the shot with Suilven just visible on its right shoulder.
Cul Mor is further to to the left with Stac Pollaidh on its right shoulder.

P1000987.JPG
BMA from half way up Conival

P1000989.JPG
Conival summit with slight sea of cloud in distance south

P1000990.JPG
Looking across to BMA

The drop from Conival had an awkward bit initially due to the snow but it was easily bypassed slightly to the south.

P1000992b.JPG
BMA summit , looking north west

P1000993.JPG
Looking back to Conival

P1000996.JPG
Zoomed in view of Quinag from BMA

P1000997.JPG
typical amount of snow on the ridge

P1000998.JPG
getting near top of Conival again

P1000999.JPG
Looking along the length of Loch Assynt, Quinag on right, Canisp on the left

So i carried crampons but never got them out the bag.
I had put these two hills off for a while thinking it would be a boring route but with a nice amount of snow, no wind and wall to wall sunshine - a great day out.
ridgerunner
Scrambler

Munros:87   

Re: Ben More Assynt with local info but

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Great views, well captured, wish I'd been able to see anything other than rain from these two!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland