walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Sixty Six

Munro Sixty Six

Postby Chris Henshall » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:48 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian

Date walked: 02/04/1984

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday, 2nd. April, 1984:
This was the second day of a trip up to Glencoe to teach winter skills to sixth form students from Surrey and, having had a good introduction to the basics on the Buchaille on the Sunday, my good friend Jon and I decided that the best of the students could be turned loose on Stob Coire nan Lochan's easier gullies.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rather than flog up the direct route from the Coe, however, we went for a more interesting approach via the Lost Valley and, after a very early start and kicking endless steps on a rising traverse onto the southern end of Gearr Aonach, we arrived in the corrie before 9.00.am. to find the gullies in excellent condition. Using Broad Gully as a descent route, we took in Boomerang, Left Fork and NC Gully before Jon and I finished with SC Gully. Then, with the weather set fair and plenty of time before sunset, we decided to push on and take in Bidean as well - a good decision!
Gully on Stob C nan Lochain.jpg
Two students on the left finish to Forked Gully
Summit of Bidean.jpg
Students on the summit of Bidean
Despite subsequent winter ascents of Bidean, however, the top listed as "Beinn Fhada St. Coire Sgriodain" in my 1974 tables was upgraded to full Munro status in 1997 (as Stob Coire Sgreamhach) and so, at the time of writing in 2017, this great looking peak still awaits an ascent. I look forward to getting back up there.
Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90944.
Last edited by Chris Henshall on Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munro Sixty Six

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

My dad is suffering from the same thing - Lots of random tops have been promoted since he started bagging, so he has a splattering of hills to do all over :lol:

There is a great route up Sgreamhach from the top of the Larig Eilde called Sron na laraig or something similar - cracking wee scramble, would be rather more challenging in the snow :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: Munro Sixty Six

Postby Chris Henshall » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:07 am

My dad is suffering from the same thing - Lots of random tops have been promoted since he started bagging, so he has a splattering of hills to do all over :lol:
There is a great route up Sgreamhach from the top of the Larig Eilde called Sron na laraig or something similar - cracking wee scramble, would be rather more challenging in the snow :)

Thanks for commenting Basscadet; I'm still ticking them off - the promoted ones as well as the old, demoted ones - and I finally managed to get myself up Sgreamhach by the route which you suggested, albeit in summer (see https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105591). I'd have thought that it has to be the best way to the top of this hill?
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland