walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Running - Ben Chonzie

Munro Running - Ben Chonzie

Postby Avocetboy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 28/03/2017

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 711m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In an attempt to increase my Munro count and combine my hobbies of running and hill walking with my work opportunities in Scotland, this was my first attempt at running a Munro. This is not quite true as I attempted this two weeks ago, but despite having read the route and studied the map on numerous occasions, I still managed to leave the track at the first exit before the dam and got lost in the peat hags and the clag when the path ran out!

However, with the BST starting and a glorious evening, there was to be no mistake this time. I managed to run the first 3.5K, but as the gradient steepened, fast walking became a quicker option than running and I kept this up when the route left the track until I reached the brow of the plateau. From this point I could run again and followed the fence posts to the summit. This was reached after 57 minutes. I spent 10 minutes at the summit having a drink and soaking up the views (and removing my shoes for the obligatory summit photo). I then headed back down and was back at the car 30 minutes later.

Thoroughly enjoyed this experience and have plans to run many more over the course of the next few months if work, weather and time allows.

As a footnote, for those interested, I ran in Inov-8 Roclite 286 GTX fell running boots. They were excellent on the rough terrain and offered excellent ankle support on the rough terrain.

A few photos to enjoy

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/TgiP93]

Ben Chonzie by paul wilson, on Flickr

ImageBen Chonzie by paul wilson, on Flickr

Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: Munro Running - Ben Chonzie

Postby Coop » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 am

Well in for this.
My days of running are a couple of years behind me now, but if it's a good downhill I may up the pace and step out a bit
Have you looked at ramsaysround or Donnie Campbells 24 in 24. They'll give you inspiration or food for thought.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby BoyVertiginous » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:48 am

Worth getting lost the first time for the weather/views this time. Excellent effort and nice pics but, still not sure about the footwear summit pics. Look out for my "pants-on-the-end-of-a-big-stick" summit trend kicking-off :wink:

PS Will be joining you on some of these, as soon as I can get rid of this injury.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Avocetboy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks Coop, definitely worth putting lighter shoes on and running down, even if running up not an option. Not sure if I'm ready for running a Ramsey Round yet! One step at a time.

Look forward to you joining me BV, but you can keep your pants on if you summiting with me!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland