walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.

WHW Wild Camping Spots

WHW Wild Camping Spots

Postby fhaggis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 am

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 28/03/2017

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi Im hoping people can give me some advice about wild camping spots on the WHW?

i did it in 5 days a few years ago and ended up using some campsites, which i don,t want to or afford to do this time.

I will carry my own stuff and i will hope to do it in the 5 days again, Last time i finished ear;y on the 5th day but wont be in as such a rush this time and might take 6 days.

basically looking for advise on where to camp each day, which will give me something to aim at. the problem is im not very good at "stopping" and will keep going with daylight etc and i will probably end up at the same spots (campsites) as last time.

day 1 is the biggest worry with the camping ban, i camped at Mallarky bay (spelling?) the last time and was pretty tired by then, is there any other options around there? maybe conic hill?

Day 2 i camped outside the drovers (i arrived in the dark, was end or March). best option to camp at the end of the loch?

Day 3, easy wild camp at Bridge or Orchy

Day 4 i didn't get into Kinlochleven till about 8 last time and being a village i cant remember where else would be suitable? any suggestions?

any suggestions is much appreciated!
fhaggis
Walker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: WHW Wild Camping Spots

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:25 pm

If you've already bagged it... Why not skip Lomond, start at Ardlui or Tyndrum, and continue on a bit, perhaps Nevis, and a bit further along the road?

That way you'll avoid any wildcamping restriction nonsense.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Return to Long Distance routes