walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Killoeter and Ben Bowie from Balloch

Killoeter and Ben Bowie from Balloch

Postby iangpark » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:51 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Bowie

Date walked: 28/03/2017

Time taken: 3.25 hours

Distance: 15.7 km

Ascent: 520m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were staying in Cameron House Hotel for a few days - there was a spa appointment booked for my girlfriend so I decided I'd have a crack at Ben Bowie in the meantime as it was nearby. The weather the day before would have been the best day Loch Lomond had seen all year so far, but the day of the walk was overcast and hazy; however, still dry.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I left our room for the day and headed onto the A82 - this was the worst part of the walk as there was no path on the roadside (for the most part) and my legs were having a hard time warming up (probably from the number of baths we were having :lol: )

Eventually made it onto the lovely 'geese roundabout' and joined the Upper Stoneymollan Road - I have always wondered where it goes, while passing on our way up to our caravan. Passing Fasgadh Farm, the road turns into a rocky dirt path and signs that you're on the John Muir Way and Three Lochs Way begin to appear as you walk along the border of the Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park. The treeline suddenly stops and the views open up very quickly (had there had been any).

The general gist on the path with a few dogwalkers (I saw no-one else for the rest of the walk):
PATH UP.jpg

The very well maintained path essentially becomes a forestry track as the conifer plantations of Darleith Muir begin:
PATH UP TO TREES.jpg

TRAIL LOGOS.jpg

The imposing view of what's ahead is quite daunting but it is not nearly as steep as it looks. When ascending the esker-like geography on the far side of Killoeter, you are presented with some hauntingly mossy plantation conifers - one of which is straight out of a fairy tale.

Inside the plantation path:
INSIDE TREES.jpg

Eventually you will join the path just west of Gouk Hill and it will take you around past a couple of quarry ponds. Keep going as you continue along the JMW and TLW - this will take you to a junction. Take the left turn and you'll be taken along the bealach between Killoeter and Ben Bowie.

A Roe Deer along this section of the path:
ROE DEER.jpg

Upon reaching a well-maintained gate, you can either go left and join the boggy path to Killoeter or go right and join the equally boggy path up to Ben Bowie. I chose to add an extra half hour to my walk and get Killoeter out of the way - I'd regret it later if I didn't.

Boggy path up to Killoeter - this is the corner you turn right at to start following the ridge along to the top.
UP TO KILLOETER.jpg

The faint path would be very bad in rainy conditions but it was pleasantly dry for me.

Helensburgh from summit of Killoeter:
HELENSBURGH FROM KILLOETER.jpg

Ben Bowie from the summit - it looks miles away but is only really 30 minutes there and back at my pace:
BEN BOWIE FROM KILLOETER.jpg

I followed the path back to the gate and took the right side up the dry stone dyke. I'd recommend taking the left hand side route and cross it at the top as the ground conditions looked much better from the other side. The summit is only a few seconds walk from the apparent (and featureless) summit.

The actual top with a few big stones:
BEN BOWIE SUMMIT.jpg

At this point, most people would go down the way they came but I was up for a bit of an adventure. I took the path of least forestry-related resistance and arrived at a windblown area of trees. This seemed a bit extreme so I followed a small gap down the right hand side of the clearance:
FORESTRY WAY DOWN.jpg

This took me into a small heathery area and then back down onto one of the paths. I nearly followed it along before realising I had one more bit of forestry to go through. Anyone else could turn right and follow the path round if they so wished.

The creepy Red Burn after just passing into the second area of forestry:
CREEPY RED BURN.jpg

The forestry got steep very quickly and was a bit of a hassle but I was back onto the correct path in no time. The path goes left through into a birchy section and then onto a very faint path:
GOUKHILL PLANTATION PATH.jpg

I only followed this faint path briefly as I was determined to get onto the Goukhill plantation clearing. I once again went off the path to the right through a very brief bit of forestry and ended up at another extremely faint path that took me right and finally onto the grassy clearing.

I crossed this area while following it down, once again following a barely visible grassy trail. I had intended to join the path at the far right corner past Goukhill Farm but continued into thick Rhododendron bushes and a burn. I joined the forestry track as soon as possible as the track I was on was so overgrown to the point that it seemed essentially impassible. I was instantly very glad that I'd went this way because Goukhill Farm is an amazing spectacle:
GOUKHILL FARM.jpg

I spent 5 minutes looking in the haunted buildings and continued on my way. The road from here takes you back onto the A82, passing the Auchendennan cottages:
PATH DOWN.jpg

From here it was a 25-minute stroll along the motorway pavement and along the Duck Bay esplanade back to Cameron House. A magically impromptu walk that packed as much fun into 3 and a half hours as possible - and to make it even better, I arrived only 10 minutes after my girlfriend got back! :thumbup:
Last edited by iangpark on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: Killoeter and Ben Bowie from Balloch

Postby dooterbang » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:58 pm

Looks a nice wee walk that, and not far from Glasgow.

I need to do some sub 2000's, its the only hills I'm not in double figures with :)

Cheers
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Killoeter and Ben Bowie from Balloch

Postby iangpark » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm

dooterbang wrote:Looks a nice wee walk that, and not far from Glasgow.

I need to do some sub 2000's, its the only hills I'm not in double figures with :)

Cheers

I'm almost the other way about :lol: I always find the sub-2Ks to be great fun, although sometimes they can take all day and sometimes only a couple of hours. I had expected this walk to take at least 4 hours but I walk extremely quickly when I'm going solo :D
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland