walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brilliant day in Cairngorms.

Brilliant day in Cairngorms.

Postby mamoset » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 28/03/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1450m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having missed the weekend of glorious weather up North, Tuesday was the only day i could head there. The Cairngorms appeared to offer the best chance of a decent day, so we headed for Glen More. I was dropped off by my mate, who was carrying an injury, to be picked up at the funicular station later.
IMG_0218.JPG
Early morning reflections in Loch Morlich.
I took the path heading for Ryvoan and passed An Lochan Uaine, which was in shade so didn't look as green as normal :shock: I was at the Nethy Bridge - Braemar junction in no time, as the path is pretty good.
IMG_0239.JPG
The junction.
Made my way into the Abernethy Reserve and followed the path to the bridge over the River Nethy.
IMG_0246.JPG
Ryvoan Bothy & Lochan a' Chait.
IMG_0256.JPG
Distant Bynacks and River Nethy.
The going starts to steepen from here, and the temperature was also going up, so i had to shed some layers 8)
IMG_0259.JPG
Looking up Strath Nethy.
Ben Avon and Beinn a' Bhuird finally came in to view the higher i got.
IMG_0265.JPG
Ben Avon & Beinn a' Bhuird.
My plan had been to "climb" Bynack Beg as well, but with a rise of only 30m, it's not much of a climb :lol:
IMG_0272.JPG
Bynacks More & Beg.
IMG_0277.JPG
Meall a' Bhuachaille over Mam Suim & Stac na h-Iolaire.
It's a nice little ridge that leads to the summit and so 3 hours after setting off, i was on my first summit of the day, which would also take me over 25% of Munro's done :thumbup:
IMG_0286.JPG
Beinn Mheadhoin to Cairn Gorm from ascent.
IMG_0289.JPG
Bynack More summit.
Headed from here over to Bynack Beg and then made for the Munro Top of A' Choinneach.
IMG_0297.JPG
Easy route finding today!!!
Noticed that the camouflage plumage of the Ptarmigan isn't so effective in spells of warm weather!! :lol: :lol:
IMG_0309.JPG
Can you spot her?
Left A' Choinneach, making for The Saddle, down by Loch Avon. This is such a picturesque spot, i stopped for a while to eat, and take in the magnitude of this place. It really is awesome. :clap:
IMG_0332.JPG
Cairn Gorm.
IMG_0333.JPG
Stacan Dubha towers over Loch Avon.
IMG_0338.JPG
Wide angle view from The Saddle.
Had to get moving, next stop was to be Cnap Coire na Spreidhe, one of Cairn Gorm's Munro Tops. A path started from The Saddle, but this was soon lost making this a bit of a boggy climb, but nothing too bad. Saw some people skiing uphill :shock: but they made far better time than me :lol:
IMG_0366.JPG
Cairn Gorm from Cnap Coire na Spreidhe.
With the end in sight, i quickly covered the space between these tops and was on Cairn Gorm, 20 years after first topping it.
IMG_0392.JPG
Cairn Gorm summit, with Snow Bunting!!
The views all around were fantastic, and i spent a while here taking photo's.
IMG_0375.JPG
Back to the Bynacks.
IMG_0378.JPG
Distant Cairn Toul & Sgor an Lochain Uaine.
IMG_0379.JPG
Ben Macdui.
IMG_0384.JPG
Derry Cairngorm & Loch Etchachan.
reluctantly left the summit, but was lucky that i could head down an out of use piste, so only took 20 minutes to get to the car park. The brilliant weather certainly contributed to a great day. Must say, i am becoming more and more fond of the Cairngorms. I've had some great days here, and long may that continue :)
IMG_0401.JPG
One for the road.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Brilliant day in Cairngorms.

Postby rockhopper » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:00 pm

Brilliant day right enough and a nice view over Loch Avon. Still amazed at the lack of snow - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mamoset » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 am

rockhopper wrote:Brilliant day right enough and a nice view over Loch Avon. Still amazed at the lack of snow - cheers :)

Lack of snow does make it easier to get around tho :lol: cheers rh
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:47 am

I've been wondering about a good route for this part of the Cairngorms - this looks like it. You certainly had a great day for it!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby malky_c » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:50 pm

Annoying to have missed this weather - Tuesday was miserable in Inverness, but my wife works in Kingussie and said it had been lovely all day there. I didnt realise just how good! Great loop this -did something similar a couple of years ago. A Choinneach has good views into the Loch Avon basin that you miss out on otherwise :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby mamoset » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:50 pm

Alteknacker wrote:I've been wondering about a good route for this part of the Cairngorms - this looks like it. You certainly had a great day for it!
Good way to get these two for you alte, if you get a similar day :? 8)

malky_c wrote:Annoying to have missed this weather - Tuesday was miserable in Inverness, but my wife works in Kingussie and said it had been lovely all day there. I didnt realise just how good! Great loop this -did something similar a couple of years ago. A Choinneach has good views into the Loch Avon basin that you miss out on otherwise :)
Cheers malky. I'd viewed Loch Avon from the west end years back, but looking in from the path to the Saddle was awesome.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland