walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lowthers above Wanlockhead

The Lowthers above Wanlockhead

Postby iainR » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Green Lowther

Donalds included on this walk: East Mount Lowther, Green Lowther, Lowther Hill

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 9 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I've climbed this small range of hills dozens of times now as i use them for fitness training mainly over the winter months since they are within a reasonably short drive from where i live.
The Lowthers are easily accessible from a couple of points in Wanlockhead though i normally start from the beginning of the Lowther radar station access road near the northern edge of the village, there is parking space for several cars there.

Village road sign__1491155931_92.3.196.13.jpg
Village road sign

Beginning of walk__1491156004_92.3.196.13.jpg
Beginning of the walk

The range of hills directly above the village comprise of East Mount Lowther, Lowther Hill and Green Lowther. The tarred access road can be followed all the way to Lowther Hill and Green Lowther but in order to take in the third hill, East Mount Lowther, the Enterkin Pass track is taken which branches off the road at the first sharp bend. The track leads to the col between Lowther Hill and East Mount Lowther where a crossroads is reached with a track leading up Lowther Hill to the left and a grassy path following the fence line up East Mount Lowther to the right while the original path drops down into the historic Enterkin Pass which was the scene of a Covenanter skirmish in the 17th century.
The ascent of East Mount Lowther is short and steep from here with an indicator pillar on the flat summit.The views of the Galloway Hills are extensive from Criffel and the Solway to The Merrick and beyond.

Start of Enterkin path__1491156045_92.3.196.13.jpg
Start of Enterkin path

EML and Enterkin Pass__1491156093_92.3.196.13.jpg
East Mount Lowther and Enterkin Pass

Summit of EML__1491156128_92.3.196.13.jpg
Summit of East Mount Lowther

Criffel from EML__1491156162_92.3.196.13.jpg
Criffel from East Mount Lowther

The route to Lowther Hill is obvious and is quickly reached when the track up from the col ends at the access road which leads to the summit which is crowned by a large radar installation. The road continues along the ridge to Green Lowther and if conditions allow and i'm not wearing boots then i tend to power walk this last part which stretches for about a mile from summit to summit.

Summit of LH__1491156196_92.3.196.13.jpg
Summit of Lowther Hill

Ridge between LH and GL__1491156230_92.3.196.13.jpg
Ridge between Lowther Hill and Green Lowther

The views from Green Lowther are as wide and far reaching as East Mount Lowther with Tinto, the Culter Hills and the Moffat Hills all visible in the distance with the Leadhills area below. Although Lowther Hill and Green Lowther are topped by telecommunications equipment it doesn't really spoil what is a great walk in the heart of the Southern Uplands.
There are various ways to return to the start and i prefer to retrace my route to Lowther Hill then go straight down bypassing the long bends in the road when possible.

Approaching GL__1491156293_92.3.196.13.jpg
Approaching Green Lowther

Summit of GL__1491156330_92.3.196.13.jpg
Summit of Green Lowther
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland