walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lived up to its reputation.

Lived up to its reputation.

Postby Coop » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1710m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fancied Glen Etive and with the weather looking good, a choice had to be made.

Just go for Beinn nan Aighenan or start with Ben Starav and see how it goes. Started walking at 20 to 8 and Starav lived up to all I'd read and heard about it. Monster, brute, hard work.

It was all of this and more. It seemed to go on and on and on up to where the rocky section was. Bit of hands on up the the broken trig point and cairn and a good view of the way ahead.
Decision made - it was over the wee arete down to the beallach and headed right and down then up to nan Aighenan. There is a wee gritty path on the way up which I missed as I was talking to a lad from eburdeen I caught up with. We went a little to the right and missed it. Bit of clag on the way up and then it cleared for us and the 360 was tremendous.
Back down the path and we parted ways before the beallach between ben starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor. He had just come out to walk the one but I was now going to head for number 3, so I cut up early - up the steep rocky slope to the ridge line- and joined the path up to Glas Bheinn Mhor. After 2 ascents behind me I thought this should be a dawdle.
Wrong; my legs started to tire and it was hard work up the "easier" of the 3. So glad to get to the summit and have a break and a coffee.
Good looking path east and down to the stream and " most" of the way back. Starts getting boggier and wetter the further down it goes. If I was to this way again I'd get across after the waterfall and join the path coming down from Starav on the other side.
I followed the wet route down to the plantation fence and round to the other fence which guards the residents from the walkers.
Knackered and chuffed with today. Great hills. Rocks and Pointy bits, streams, waterfalls, 3 decent ascents. Half decent ridge line and a wee arete. Oh, and great views
Fantastic day but hard work

Cap doffed to Ben Starav and Co.
Cheers
Coop
Walker

Munros:255   Corbetts:75
Grahams:21   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland