walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruinn a'Bheinn - tougher than it looks

Cruinn a'Bheinn - tougher than it looks

Postby rob munbett » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:12 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cruinn a'Bheinn

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 860m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a second attempt at this hill - I had tried to add it on to a Ben Lomond walk a year or so ago but about halfway down to the bealach I lost heart and energy so went back to the car at Rowardennan over Ptarmigan. This time I went up from the north. I left Glasgow before 8 in a bit of a hurry (too hurried as it turned out as I left my camera behind) and parked up at Inversnaid at 9.15. I didn't think much of the road north from Aberfoyle. I walked across the bridge over the falls and dropped down to the WHW which was a lovely gentle saunter in the early morning chill with lots of birdsong. There were quite a few ups and downs all the way to Cailness. Just before the cottage, a grassy path leads up to a gate which gives access to the road which zig-zags up the hillside. I must be honest and say that this very steep road took it out of me. I know I had run a pretty good 10k the day before but this got my heart pumping and the breathing labouring a bit. I just had to get the poles out and get a rhythm going and try to enjoy the views across the loch below. Up at the top of the road, I tried to see the fence mentioned in the SMC book but missed it and carried on on the road for a bit before I thought I better just head over to the hill which looked like a large upside down pudding bowl. The terrain across to the hill was awful - very boggy, tussocks and large balls of grass. Soon the ground steepened and the going became even more difficult as I slithered up the hillside, not managing to get much of a grip. I was trying to find a line of an old wooden fence and was relieved to do so as this was supposed the indicate the easiest was to the summit. I had to be vigilant as there were a lot of strands of old wire and some mesh lying around. Eventually, I came to an extremely steep section which seemed to be convex. After a brief pause at the top of this section I struggled up over a couple of more false rises before coming to the summit cairn. I have to say the views were spectacular and I really regretted not having my camera. I found a dip out of the chill wind to enjoy a well deserved lunch and before heading back down the fence line. I am pleased to say that I only ended up on my bottom once. I decided to head for the deer fence that I could see in the distance (this was the route I should have taken on the way up). However, I have to say that the ground here was even worse - it was over-the-top-of-my-boot boggy and it seemed to take forever to get back to the road. The steepness of the road in descent was a test for the old, tired knees and even the 3 km walk back along the WHW was a bit of a trackle because of the many ups and downs, gnarled tree roots and slippery rocks. I must say that enjoyed reaching the car for a final roll and cuppa before heading home.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland