walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar with bike

Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar with bike

Postby andrew11 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:41 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 12/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1220m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started from Victoria Bridge and biked up the track on the North side of the Linne nam Beathach to the iron hut. This is a well made track and easy to bike. Still on bike turned up the path on E. side of Alt Toaig. Track is boggy and rutted in places but perfectly doable. Left the bike at aprox 253433 and continued on foot. Rain came on so put on waterproofs, however it only lasted about 20 mins and the rest of the walk was dry with very occasional sun. I went up the second ridge on the right. The one that goes straight to the top of Stob a'Choire Odhair. There is a well marked zig zag path but I preferred to head straight up the easy grassy slopes. After the summit I headed west for Stob Ghabhar. The scramble up onto Aonach Eagach was a little tricky (for me anyway!) as everything was very wet, but not really a problem. I was a little apprehensive about the narrow section of this ridge as I had read that it was somewhat exposed and indeed when I came to it looked quite challenging. However Paddy McGuire the Skye mountain guide who introduced me to scrambling last month on the Cuillin would have been proud of me! I thoroughly enjoyed the ridge and got a real buzz from it. I even opted to stay along the top rather than take the easier option to the side at one point. After that the push up to the summit was nae bother. On the way down I followed the South East ridge passing the fantastic waterfalls and crossed the burn to collect the bike. Then wheeee down the track and road to the car park. I just love using the bike in situations like this. Nothing is worse than that long level walk out after a hard day on the hills. All in all a brilliant day on the hills. Only disappointment, didn't see Schiehallion over Rannoch moor. Too murky, but a minor niggle hardly worth mentioning. Also had pleasant chats with 6 other walkers at various points. Get out your bike! It enhances the experience on loads of hills!
Attachments
13poles.jpg
I've worn them out and they're starting to slip. pity my b'day is past
12back2bike.jpg
it's still here
11crossingtoaig.jpg
plenty of stepping stones
10rocksandtulla.jpg
all adds to the experience
9fancypost.jpg
it survived, but not the wire
8walkersoneagach.jpg
I did that!
7atopghabhar.jpg
made it
6eagachtoghabhar.jpg
take a dep breath and go!
5odhailfromeagach.jpg
phew that was a climb!
4Ghabharfrombeallach.jpg
can I get up there?
3rannochfromodhair.jpg
sun for me but not for Schiehallion
2toaigfall.jpg
lots of rain in last few days

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1leavingbike.jpg
I love my bike!
Last edited by andrew11 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Stob a'Choire Odhair with bike

Postby mountain coward » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:47 am

I'll be doing Stob Gabhar separately as I've done Stob a' Choire Odhair already... didn't like the look of the very steep climb up to where the Aonach Eagach ridge starts - I'm sure I'd be okay across the actual ridge though... when I do it I intend to go up the ridge you came down - I'm assuming it's fine with no problems? Good photos :D

Me and my walking buddy Richard use our fold-up bikes quite a bit to reach walks if there's a good path (like that one) - it is a lot better than a long walk out at the end of the day!
mountain coward

Re: Stob a'Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar with bike

Postby andrew11 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:34 am

Hi. Thanks for your comments. The ridge I came down is no problem. Just a bit boggy in places. Also if I was going up that way I'd go up to the right of the waterfall. It looks steeper but there was a bit of a path going that way. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it goes. Sorry the pictures are in the wrong order, they mixed themselves up for some reason.
andrew11
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:38 pm

Hi Andrew

Good report, been thinking of doing these two for a while now, with only the narrow ridge and scrambling deterring me but thanks to your report and photos it doesn't look too bad. Hope you got a suitable route off Beinn a' Chleib.
Found your Grandaughters report very amusing.

Johnny
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Good stuff Andrew. By the way, if it's the only bit that has had it, you can buy a pair of new tips for the walking poles :D (it's quite hard to pull the old ones off mind!)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Fine report and pictures there andrew11,we looked at this before choosing to head for the "gorms",probably be next year now before we get round to doing this now ,could not help but notice that you are another Paddy McGuire convert,did you go climbing in Skye with him on any munro"s or was it just a scrambling course.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby andrew11 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks Gammy (I wish I had chosen a more immaginative user name!!) had 2 days with Paddy on the Cuillin with a friend his grandson (15) and my granddaughter (13). Did Sgurr a'Mhadaide and Sgurr a'Ghreadaidh the first day and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich and the in pin the second day. Mist and some rain both days but it was great. (see Kirstybeast's report Clambering up the Inn Pinn). We also did Blaven by ourselves on a glorious day.
Last edited by andrew11 on Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
andrew11
Walker

Postby andrew11 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:14 am

Thanks Paul for your advice re polls. (and your interest). The polls are well knackered. One got bent by a young lad I lent it to and they both got bashed and jammed when I threw them down ahead of me when scrambling down Ben Narnian. I'll know not to do that again! What a great site this is!!
andrew11
Walker

Postby Glenrothes » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:31 pm

andrew11 wrote:Nothing is worse than that long level walk out after a hard day on the hills.

I did these two Munros last year as part of the Clachlet Traverse linking the Munros of Stob a' Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar with Meall a' Bhùiridh and Creise.

What I wouldn't have given to have two wheels for the last few miles on the West Highland Way back to Victoria Bridge!!
Glenrothes

Postby andrew11 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:06 pm

hi outdoor johnny. thanks for your comments. In the end I came down Beinn a'Cleibh by the route that you had taken up and it was fine, if a bit boggy, thanks.
andrew11
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland