walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Great Glen Munros

Two Great Glen Munros

Postby seamus0 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Route description: Loch Lochy Munros from Kilfinnan

Munros included on this walk: Meall na Teanga, Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 25/03/2017

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For once my trip to Scotland was in perfect weather, blue skies, the last of the winter snow, and 2 superb days. I stayed at the Great Glen Hostel in South Laggan, and took the small road signposted to Kilfinnan. The bumpy wee road eventually takes to you a small farm on your left and some space for cars (272952). Follow the road that turns into a track west over a bridge and through a metal gate, passing the farm.
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-4.jpg
Start of walk

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-5.jpg
Walk through woods

Continue west and enter Cluanie forest. Keep right and walk along the wide forest track for about 3 km until you see a waymarker on your right directing you into the trees to start the climb.
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-6.jpg
Track to lookout for after 3km

The track is good and a steady pace was made along the riverside track.
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-8.jpg
Climb out of woods towards bealach

We hit some snow along the way which was of the slushy variety....more than I had seen all year so was glad of it!
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-11.jpg
Some snow towards bealach

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-12.jpg
Countouring round Meall Dubh

Eventually after about 2 hrs we reached the bealach between the 2 munros at 222938. We countoured around Meall Dubh towards Meall na Teanga. There was still quite a bit of snow on the way up. We climbed it head on, on its northern face which was a bit slippy in places.
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-15.jpg
Heading towards NE face of Meall na Teanga

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-17.jpg
Climbing towards Meall na Teanga

After a few kicked in steps we reached the ridge line and climbed the last 100m or so to reach the flat top around 3.5 hrs from when we started. We got superb views of the Ben and surrounding hills....if a wee bit hazy...but I certainly wasnt complaining.
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-21.jpg
View from top with the Ben in distance

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-30.jpg
Descent off Meall Na Teanga

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-26.jpg
Descending off the N ridge

Our group split up on the descent as several wanted to climb Meall Dubh and went down the way we came up. We on the other hand ddescended easily down the NW ridge to avoid most of the steep snow, and contoured back to the bealach. A good zig-zag track leads you 80% up to Sron a Choire Ghairbh and was an enjoyable climb.
Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-32.jpg
View from bealach looking west

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-33.jpg
View from zig-zag track up Sron a Choire Ghairbh

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-37.jpg
View from top of Sron a Choire Ghairbh

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-41.jpg
the top of Sron

We waited for the other group to catch us up but couldnt think of a better place to be that waiting up top taking in the majestic vista in front of us. After 20mins or so of sitting and taking it all in, we dragged ourselves off the top to make our descent. Rather than retracing our steps our descent was along the eastern ridge of Sron A Choire Ghairbh.

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-47.jpg
Our descent down the E ridge

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-50.jpg
the ridge looking back

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-49.jpg
walking along the ridge

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-55.jpg
Looking down the Great Glen

Great_Glen_Meet_Mar17-62.jpg
Our route back down

Although a bit longer, it was a wonderful route back down and offered fantastic views of the Great Glen. The only real dodgy bit was not falling on your ar*e on the grassy fields near Kilfinnan...which I did several times! We rejoined the track near the start and eventually reached our cars 9.5hrs from start to watch the sunset! A very enjoyable walk..!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

Re: Two Great Glen Munros

Postby Coop » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:36 pm

3 days beforehand ( on the 22nd) I had to turn back at the beallach. Couldn't see a thing and the snow was above my knees in places. Hard slog through it.
Good report. Cheers. I'll be heading back up these 2 again soon
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Two Great Glen Munros

Postby seamus0 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:51 pm

It's amazing what a couple of days can do to get rid of snow! I bet it clogs up a lot! I think we've sèen the last of the big snow falls ....however there is talk of some flurries next week...never say never!
seamus0
Munro compleatist

Munros:138   Corbetts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland