walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mountain of Filth

Mountain of Filth

Postby Yorjick » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:42 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Càrn Salachaidh

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 819m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Carn Salachaidh translates to "Filthy Mountain". While, it is always peaceful to be out on the hill and there is always beauty to be seen, the slopes present the would be ascensionist with the choice between deep heather or squelchy watercourse. Faint paths, created by the repeated trampling of hooves exist, but either fade or head off in the wrong direction. However, higher up, the terrain becomes grassy with scattered boulders. The SMC guide to "The Grahams & The Donalds" states that the OS 1:25k map indicates the 647m summit lies 45m to the north-east of the trig point. To me, in perfect conditions, it seemed clear that the highest point was the top of a miniature "Uluru".

DSCF2664_resize.JPG
The true summit

I had reservations about parking in the passing place at the start of the track, so I parked outside Ardgay train station and cycled up to Guinards Lodge, adding over 8km of biking at the start and end of the day. There is a gate of sort at the beginning of the track - the sort that falls over when you open it - more of a barrier than a gate. I took the bike up to the end of the trees before locking it to a tree and continuing on foot, through a deer gate and and across the moorland of Carn Mor. While a bit wet in places, it was pleasant and the ground was covered with ease until reaching the Allt a' Glinne, beyond which things became much tougher going.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCF2598_resize.JPG
The start

DSCF2599_resize.JPG
Deer gate

DSCF2600_resize.JPG
The track across Carn Mor

DSCF2605_resize.JPG
Allt a' Glinne

I was wearing fell shoes and breeches, converted from a frayed and torn pair of trousers. These left my shins badly scratched as I battled my way up through the stems of mature heather. The route so far had offered very limited views but as I reached higher ground, I was awarded with views of Carn a'Choin Deirg (left), Cul Beag and Cul Mor.

DSCF2606_resize.jpg
Carn a'Choin Deirg (left), Cul Beag and Cul Mor.

Gaining further height, I could also see Suilven, Canisp, Breabag, Conival and Ben Mor Assynt.

DSCF2613_resize.jpg
Towards Assynt

I initially aimed for what is presumably a large glacial erratic to the west of the summit. Looking west-south-west, I could pick out Bein Dearg and Meall nan Ceapraichean with Cona Mheall just distinguishable in front of Beinn Dearg.

DSCF2627_resize.JPG
Beinn Dearg group

Another erratic with Conival and Ben More Assynt in the distance.

DSCF2636_resize.JPG
Breabag - Conival - Ben More Assynt

DSCF2641_resize.jpg
Cul beg, Cul Mor, Suilven and Canisp.

The trig point with the large boulder that forms the summit beyond:

DSCF2660_resize.JPG
Carn Salachaidh summit

Having popped up and down the boulder trying to produce a decent selfie I ultimately decided that this would make the best shot. I had to run as fast as I could and scramble up the rock within the ten second countdown on the camera.

DSCF2670_resize.JPG
Summit selfie

I headed round to Carn Bhrain, all the time, my eye being drawn towards Suilven and Canisp.

DSCF2672_resize.jpg
Suilven/Canisp

The way down involved contouring across deep heather before eventually picking up a wet, slippery route between the heather. I did not head for the point at which the track reaches the burn but headed more directly as the deep contouring through the deep heather was becoming tiresome. The extra height loss was negligible. There are undoubtedly finer Grahams, but with limited time available (my wife was working in the morning and I did not set off from the car until around 1230) and with such fine weather, I'll settle for this as a hill worthy of being my 50th!
Last edited by Yorjick on Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Re: Mountain of Filth

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:14 pm

Congrats on the 50th Graham :D

Lucky you, you had much better conditions on this one, it's a lovely ridge. We were pushed about by 40mph winds so badly, that we gave up the traverse to Car Bhrain, plus it was so hazy the Assynt hills didn't even show up. I'm desperate to return to this one for more detailed explorations, scratchy heather or not :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Re: Mountain of Filth

Postby Yorjick » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:58 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Lucky you, you had much better conditions on this one, it's a lovely ridge. We were pushed about by 40mph winds so badly, that we gave up the traverse to Car Bhrain, plus it was so hazy the Assynt hills didn't even show up. I'm desperate to return to this one for more detailed explorations, scratchy heather or not :lol:

I seem to be following your paw prints recently - 2-3 weeks behind you! Needless to say, I viewed your walk report before my visit. Thanks for doing the reconnaissance! Not many reports for this hill! :D :clap:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland