walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Ledi and Benvane from Falls of Leny

Ben Ledi and Benvane from Falls of Leny

Postby colinwatson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi, Benvane

Date walked: 02/04/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After an enforced absence, it was good to get back out on the hill.

A glorious morning, but as I suspected that the Falls of Leny car park would be busy, I left early and arrived at 8.15. Even at that hour, there were quite a few cars there and only a few places remaining. Parked up and was on my way by 8.30. The initial forest has now been cleared, so whilst the ground was much more open, it was quite messy, but the well constructed path allowed good progress to be made. As I passed under the crags just before the path reaches the broad south ridge, I could see that the new path-works are almost complete. Once this work is done, there will be an excellent path all of the way from the car park to the summit - no more floundering in boggy ground! During the ascent, there were lots of photographers making their way down which would account for the number of cars at the foot of the hill. The path allowed me to ascend swiftly, despite my lack of fitness, and I was at the memorial cross two hours after setting out.

20170402_102613 (640x360).jpg
The memorial cross just below the summit

20170402_103040 (640x360).jpg
The memorial cross and trig point

Thanks to my early start, I had the summit to myself - for at least 5 minutes before groups began to arrive! Had some food looking over Loch Lubnaig and thinking how far away Benvane looked!

20170402_103306 (640x360).jpg
Looking north from Ben Ledi toward Benvane with the Lawers range behind

20170402_103342 (640x360).jpg
Looking east over Loch Katrine and Loch Arklet

I had long wanted to see Lochan nan Corp to the north of Ben Ledi, but any time I had been here before, circumstances had dictated that I descend by the path - so today I was looking forward to putting this right. From the summit, I headed north and found that there was quite a distinct path to follow. Unfortunately I was beguiled by the path heading down towards Stank Glen and as a result had to cut across to the main ridge, which is marked by a series of fenceposts. The bonus for this was the sight of a female snow bunting.

20170402_110057 (640x360).jpg
Looking back to the summit from near the Lochan

20170402_110123 (640x360).jpg
Approaching the Lochan with Benvane behind

Once back on track, I was soon at the bealach and from there it is only a short climb to the Lochan.

20170402_114100 (640x360).jpg
The long anticipated Lochan nan Corp!

20170402_114145 (640x360).jpg
Ben Ledi from the Lochan

From here to Benvane, the going is pretty undulating, with quite a few peat hags and slipped ground - as a result, I had to take a few detours. It would be better on a really cold day, but that wasn't my experience.

20170402_122750 (640x360).jpg
Lots of lovely peat to negotiate!

It was hard going from here to Benvane, but at least I had the compensation of great views to take my mind off it! As with all hills, after a lot of huffing and puffing, I eventually arrived at the summit of my second Corbett of the day.

20170402_134946 (640x360).jpg
Looking back to Ben Ledi - it does look at long way off!

When I climbed Benvane before (in 1982!) I came up the broad north ridge. This is much easier option, but the route today alloed me to climb two Corbetts.

20170402_135017 (640x360).jpg
Looking north from Benvane

20170402_135049 (640x360).jpg
Looking over Loch Lubnaig to Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin

I set off on the long walk back to the lochan just before two. When I reached the bealach, I was pleased to find a path leading down into Stank Glen where I could pick up the Forestry Commission path heading to Loch Lubnaig. Unfortunately, once I got the the track nearer the houses at Stank, the signage could have been clearer and some of the footpaths here are eroded. Undeterred, I soon reached the road at the lochside and was soon back at the car.

A great day to get back out, but quite a slog along the ridge and back.

20170402_135358 (640x478).jpg
Benvane selfie!
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:38
Fionas:44   Donalds:45
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:5   

Re: Ben Ledi and Benvane from Falls of Leny

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Good pics to see what the route is like between Ben Ledi and Benvane, the path looks decent, thanks! I was just plotting a GPX for this route recently. Don't think the other half would enjoy it though since it looks like about 1 hour 45 to reach the second Corbett and she's not had to deal with the dreaded peat hags yet! :D

I'll probably save the route you did to do myself or with friends and maybe take her up the north route to Benvane from Ballinmore. Ben Ledi is on the agenda soon, will need to make sure we get there early, cheers for the tips!

Glad you are now back on the hills after an absence, must have felt good? Looked like you enjoyed it! :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby colinwatson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:43 am

Chris Mac wrote:Good pics to see what the route is like between Ben Ledi and Benvane, the path looks decent, thanks! I was just plotting a GPX for this route recently. Don't think the other half would enjoy it though since it looks like about 1 hour 45 to reach the second Corbett and she's not had to deal with the dreaded peat hags yet! :D

I'll probably save the route you did to do myself or with friends and maybe take her up the north route to Benvane from Ballinmore. Ben Ledi is on the agenda soon, will need to make sure we get there early, cheers for the tips!

Glad you are now back on the hills after an absence, must have felt good? Looked like you enjoyed it! :clap:

Thanks Chris - yes I did enjoy it, though my legs were pretty sore on Monday! Glad that the post is usefel....
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Postby colinwatson » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 am

colinwatson wrote:
Chris Mac wrote:Good pics to see what the route is like between Ben Ledi and Benvane, the path looks decent, thanks! I was just plotting a GPX for this route recently. Don't think the other half would enjoy it though since it looks like about 1 hour 45 to reach the second Corbett and she's not had to deal with the dreaded peat hags yet! :D

Thanks Chris - yes I did enjoy it, though my legs were pretty sore on Monday! Glad that the post is useful....
colinwatson
Stravaiging

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland