walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler (and why I love other walkers so much)

The Cobbler (and why I love other walkers so much)

Postby ceebeeby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 01/09/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is the story of the Cobbler ... with no pictures.

There should have been pictures - especially as I hoiked the camera all the way up and back down again! However, I forgot to put the memory card in it **sigh**

Having got drenched on our previous venture of the cobbler, with a resultant very soggy 12 year old daughter, this time, I was determined we were going to enjoy quality Mummy / Girl time, so carefully checked the forecast and we were ready for the off at about 10:00.

Having already hiked through the foliage before, we knew it was steep. Before long we were both praising our brand new socks (1000 mile) to the hilt and exclaiming on how blister free they were. Daughter was sooking up the Lucozade, with the effect of her just about sprinting up the hard parts, as I huffed and puffed (and there was a lot of both) behind.

As we cleared into the valley the cloud drew over, and we got a little sprinkling of liquid sunshine, but nothing to dampen the spirits.

Off we set, following our Walkhighlands Map, past the boulders (eyeing up our post climb lunch spot!!) until we got to the fork in the path. With not too much consideration required, we chose the 'easy' route and set off round to the back of the Cob to start the steps of doom.

Was astounded at how quickly we got up the (zillions) of steps and reached the pass between North and South ridge (maybe 15 - 20 minutes??), my thighs were screaming that it must have taken at least 10 hours, but fortunately that was all it was!

The sun was back to full strength, and we bounced up to the main summit - again, following the very well worn path (nothing too adventurous for us!) to the needle. Being the not so brave Mum I am, I absolutely forbade threading the needle, however, felt as though we'd reached our own summit anyway.

A lovely couple at the top took our one picture of the day using the cameras internal memory - however, as it has Daughter in it, unfortunately can't share.

Am gutted that I can't show the stunning vista's we could see. Ben Lomond was as clear as could be, in fact, we could see for miles and miles (if only I knew the names of them all!)

After a hug and a few more minutes of the awe inspiring sites, we set off back down the steps, which were much easier on the downwards journey! Stopped for quite a few chats on the way down with huff/puffs on the way up (remembering that was me not that long ago). At the bottom, I half-heartedly tried to convince daughter that we could manage Ben Ime now - but she wasn't for it.

Stopped for sarnies at the Narnain boulder but was fairly rushed as by now Daughter had decided that she was bursting (all that lucozade). Still managed to pass the time of day with some other friendly walkers out and about.

After one failed bush stop (she couldn't bear that there was anyone within a mile radius) we made our way back down the foliage where the trees were a bit thicker! Little did we know at the time, but she dropped her Berghaus jacket round about now.

Off we set for home and an hour and a half later arrived. Within seconds of getting through the door, the phone rang.

"Hello, is that Mrs XXXXX and were you walking up in Arrochar today? Have found your daughters jacket" - well at £50 for a replacement, I could have wept for joy and very soon she'll be reunited with it (thank goodness for the foresite to put our phone number as well as her name in the jacket!)

And that's why I love other walking people, because they take the time to care about each other as well as for themselves!!

Loved the Cobbler but even more loved the time spent with Daughter and with all those 'strangers' who are now friends!
ceebeeby
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Re: The Cobbler (and why I love other walkers so much)

Postby iainwatson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:52 pm

great to hear you got the jacket back-it just re-affirms the type of people who go out on the hills

my friend put his blackberry phone down on the hillside during Snowdon on our three peaks challenge,went to look for it but no sign of it-he wasnt too pleased as you can imagine but to his joy some really nice walker had lifted it and handed it in at the visitor centre :D

you cant buy the honesty like that :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland