walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clear skies on Carn Ban

Clear skies on Carn Ban

Postby Helen Bruce » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:01 pm

Route description: Càrn Ban via Alladale

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Bàn

Date walked: 26/03/2017

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 38.5 km

Ascent: 935m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It’s been 3 years since I last wrote a trip report, in March 2014, of a walk up Gairich which almost ended badly thanks to me slipping on slushy snow and grass https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40553. I was lucky enough to win the monthly Walkhighlands trip report competition then, so I’m not sure why it didn’t inspire me to write more reports!

Since that time, I’ve completed my Munros – and then started doing them again (I know, what a lack of imagination!) and also started to look out for Corbetts. So when I was researching Carn Ban last month, I was surprised at the lack of trip reports for the Alladale approach and that has spurred me into action, though admittedly it’s taken me 3 weeks after the walk to do it. Hope it helps others with their planning. It ended up taking us 8.5 hours but it was the first day of our holiday and we were quite weary so didn’t push the pace, and we also lounged around a bit on our breaks as the weather was so good.

It’s 9 years since Malc & I had been in this area, doing a fab cycle trip from Ardgay station via Croich church to Ullapool on offroad tracks with a wild camp in the middle. That had been the most amazing trip and the start of a 2-week cycle tour from Ullapool to Thurso/John O’Groats (which is now mostly the NC500 and probably too busy with vehicles for an enjoyable cycle). I’d never actually been on Alladale estate, though for years I'd read various reports about their wolf reintroduction plans so I was curious about what it would be like. In fact I was totally unprepared for how beautiful it is - stunning landscape and ancient Caledonian pinewoods, lots of new trees coming through. Mind you, with the sun shining from a cloudless sky, I challenge anywhere in Scotland not to look gorgeous on a day like that.

We parked at the end of the public road by Glencalvie estate, the temperature was just above zero. We got on to the bikes by 9am to follow the Walkhighlands route and soon warmed up as there's a big hill early on.
IMG_1264.JPG
Setting off through the pinewoods

It’s a 9-mile cycle down Gleann Mor to the bridge after Deanich lodge where you enter Gleann Beag. Mostly the road is in good condition, and relatively flat, just a few ups and downs. There’s a number of fenced enclosures – possibly for wild boar? – and some extensive native tree planting which is already beginning to change the character of the glen in a very interesting way. Lots of birdlife as we cycled through, feeling that we were getting into more and more remote country. We never saw a soul all day.
IMG_1265.JPG
Deanich Lodge, looking back down Gleann Mor

After the bridge was reached we had an early lunch break and then continued on foot along the road to finally climb up the side of the glen just before a hydro scheme and weir. It was a fairly steep pull up, and really hot in the sun on a southerly slope, but the views were getting better and better.
IMG_1267.JPG
Setting off on foot down Gleann Beag, Cona Mheall in the distance

Dornoch spring 2017 151.JPG
Starting the climb

First was Cona Mheall and Am Faochagach then Beinn Dearg (with its wall) and Meall nan Ceapraichean, and Eididh nan Clach Geala … and then finally Seana Bhraigh, all touched with snow and looking amazing, bringing back lots of memories.
IMG_1268.JPG
Brief rest at Loch Sruban Mora

Dornoch spring 2017 156.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Dearg and the Fannaichs

By this time we’d passed Loch Sruban Mora and were heading up the first top. Fortunately most of the snow had gone underfoot but there were plenty of drifts which meant a meandering route. Carn Ban summit looked an awfully long way away but the views had opened out all around and our heads swivelled all the way along the ridge.
IMG_1271.JPG
Across Seana Bhraigh to the hills of Assynt

To the west as well as those already mentioned we had all the Assynt hills laid out in front of us, plus the Summer Isles and Outer Hebrides. To the north, Ben Klibreck and Ben Loyal stood out. To the south the Fannichs and even An Teallach peeping through, and to the east Ben Wyvis. By this time it was slightly hazy but I really think we were seeing the sea on both sides of the country, it was utterly fantastic, such a sense of space and peacefulness!
Dornoch spring 2017 168.JPG
An Teallach peeping through behind Beinn Dearg

Dornoch spring 2017 170.JPG
Malc walking along the summit, looking to Assynt

Dornoch spring 2017 172.JPG
Carn Ban summit looking north to Ben Klibreck

Dornoch spring 2017 003.JPG
Looking east to Ben Wyvis

We decided just to head back to the bikes from the summit, but this ended up taking a fair bit longer than hoped due to lots of soft snow drifts and peat hags to plough through on this north east side of the hill above Coire na Feithe Riabhaich. Because it was so hot I wasn't wearing gaiters and got loads of snow inside the boots. Finally, we luckily picked up the stalkers’ path which zig zags down the side of the glen beside a hydro scheme to where we’d left the bikes.
Dornoch spring 2017 007.JPG
Back down the stalkers' path to the bikes

Back on the saddle and then a mostly downhill ride all the way back to the car for 17.30. We’d had a stunning, blue sky day in really remote country right in the centre of Scotland, and had the hill all totally to ourselves. A great start to our holiday!
Helen Bruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:160   Corbetts:81
Fionas:10   Donalds:20
Islands:46

Re: Clear skies on Carn Ban

Postby dogplodder » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:18 pm

That looks fab.... but you really do need a bike and that I don't have. 8)

Good to see you back on here again! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Clear skies on Carn Ban

Postby Helen Bruce » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 pm

dogplodder wrote:That looks fab.... but you really do need a bike and that I don't have. 8)

Good to see you back on here again! :D

Thanks Dogplodder!

It would definitely be a long walk - but don't you have form on long walks in? I seem to remember having a chuckle when reading about your trip to the eastern Fannichs a few years ago,
Helen Bruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:160   Corbetts:81
Fionas:10   Donalds:20
Islands:46

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland