walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Video/Photo montage of Awesome 4 Day Cairngorm Hike

Video/Photo montage of Awesome 4 Day Cairngorm Hike

Postby Michael Cook » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Ben Macdui, Braeriach, Cairn Toul, Derry Cairngorm, Monadh Mòr, Sgòr an Lochain Uaine, The Devil's Point

Date walked: 18/08/2010

Time taken: 25 hours

Distance: 75 km

Ascent: 4000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here is a video/photo montage of an awsome 4 day walk in the Cairngorms. It is as if we are Frodo and Sam going into the land of Mordor itself! (it has two breaks in it when the next video loads up).

For a more traditional review see below but the video is better

I have played around the edge of the Cairngorms. A winter skills course at Coire an Lochain, a few munro's on the fringes but I had never been to their heart. With 4 free walking and camping days in August I set about trying to put that right. We aimed to camp high to avoid midges and enjoy any views on offer.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 1, 18 Aug
- The Walk in and The Devil's Point
We set off from the Linn of Dee carpark about noon and enjoyed the walk in. With heavy packs we were very grateful for the excellently maintained path which took us all the way to the foot of Devil's Point and my first close up view of the Lairig Ghru.
IMG_0080.jpg
Crossing the Dee near Corrour Bothy

Next was the hall up onto the Bealach at the top of Coire Odhar. I had expected this to be harder than it was but being so steep at least we made quick progress. It was beautiful conditions and we were pleased to leave the midges of the Bothy behind. As we set up camp at about 910m we were treated to this rainbow.
IMG_0953.jpg
Looking across the Lairig Ghru to Ben MacDui. The Devil's Point on right of picture

After cooking dinner it was still fine so a gentle amble brought us to the top of The Devil's Point, we took a wee dram of Whisky on the top. Absolutely stunning views in the very heart of the Gorms.
IMG_0957.jpg
View from near the summit of The Devil's Point - looking down the Dee and across at Beinn Bhrotain

Day 2, 19 Aug - Cairn Toul, Angel's Peak and a couple of extras
It was a strange sensation the next morning being in a tiny two man tent and opening the flaps to see the most stunning open views. It felt like we were in the smallest one room house with the biggest garden ever!

First climb of the day took us up to the subsidiary top south of Cairn Toul. Rough bolder fields with craggy cliffs down into the Corrie.
IMG_0966.jpg
Great views across to Cairn Toul with Ben MacDui behind

We skipped along the flanks of Cairn Toul to drop our heavy sacks before summiting Cairn Toul. Again still lovely and clear views
IMG_0969.JPG
The view north from Cairn Toul

We had originally planned to carry on around to Braeriach but instead decided to down to Loch nan Stuirteag where we set up camp (about 2pm) dropped off our stuff and then with a light pack bagged Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain. Fairly featureless compared to those flanking the great Laraig! But made a nice full day.

Day 3, 20 Aug
- Woke up in cloud with even the nearby Lochan beyond the limit of visibility. By the time the tent was packed it was raining hard and it lasted for several hours. Careful navigation using the stream as a handrail we got to the Bealach between Angel's Peak and Braeriach. In poor visibility we stumbled across some Reindeer including a white one. We watched them for about 10 minutes and they were very tollerant of us.

By the summit of Braeriach it was heavy driving rain about 40mph and we stayed no longer than necessary. We had planned a steep descent into Lairig but the wind, rain and poor visibility pursuaded us to take the main route NNW to the northern end of the Lairig Ghru. Descending to about 700m we were treated to some sun and another beautiful rainbow.
IMG_0336.jpg
Rainbow coming off Braeriach

This marked a massive change in the weather. The sun came out but the wind picked up. We had planned to camp high on Ben MacDui but taking a quick look at MWIS forecast told us 90mph winds were expected from South West. We decided to detour through Chalamain Gap and find somewhere to camp with the Mighty Ben between us and the South West winds.
IMG_1004.jpg
Looking north from near the Chalamain Gap to Ben MacDui (left) and Lairig Ghru (right)

We considered camping in the Northern Corries but managed to find a sheltered spot about 700m. The view of the Corries was grand
IMG_1011.jpg
View to Cairngorm and Northern Corries

That night was something else. Clear skies with stunning view of Milky Way. But accompanied by the most viscious winds I have ever experienced. Despite having put rocks on top of every peg we still had to get up every hour and re-peg. Finding pegs by headtorch was not easy. At times I was amazed the poles didn't snap. We didn't get much sleep that night!

Day 4, 21 Aug
- A very long day.
The next morning we climbed Ben MacDui in gale force winds. That said it was dry with good visibility so it wasn't too bad. Also our packs were much lighter now having eaten most of the food.
IMG_1024.jpg
View from flanks of Ben MacDui looking across Lairig Ghru to Braeriach

It felt good to reach Ben MacDui, we could easily believe we were at the highest point in the Cairngorms. Despite starting the day at about 680m it had been a very long hall our legs were starting to protest
IMG_1032.jpg
Views north from Ben MacDui

We had originally planned to add Carn a' Mhaim but the 400m re-assent was now out of the question - besides I quite like the idea of having to come here again! So instead we went directly to Derry Cairngorm with stunning views of Loch Etchachan. We thought about camping here (it looked a great spot) but the winds were still too strong.
IMG_1037.jpg
Loch Etchachan with Cairngorm behind.

Instead we thought we would camp near the Hutchinson Memorial Hut. The highland midges had other ideas so instead we decided to walk out that night. It was a long walk out but we were accompanied by some beautiful evening light dancing off the Scot's Pines.
IMG_0432.jpg
Evening light off lightning struck tree

Overall a great 4 days and 3 nights in the Cairngorms. Great weather, awesome remoteness and beautiful views.
Last edited by Michael Cook on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Michael Cook

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:101   Islands:53

Re: Monster Cairngorm Round - with Panorama's and Video

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:44 pm

What a great trip! :clap: When I read the title I thought you had walked for 25 hours non-stop! :?
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby skuk007 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Well done, epic few days, and great photos too. Would like to see the video but I can't see a link to it yet.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Michael Cook » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:05 pm

A problem uploading video to youtube. Should get it posted later tonight
Michael Cook

Postby Michael Cook » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 pm

skuk007 wrote:Well done, epic few days, and great photos too. Would like to see the video but I can't see a link to it yet.

It is there now :D
Michael Cook

Re: 4 Day Cairngorms Round - with Panorama's and Video

Postby Merry-walker » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:51 pm

G8 vid! Wish I cud work my camera even half as good

x 8)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: 4 Day Cairngorms Round - with Panorama's and Video

Postby Stretch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:04 pm

Wow, thoroughly enjoyed that video, class! Excellent effort guys, I had hoped to do a similar route this year but was too late getting my kit together, but this gives me a good idea of what to expect when I get around to it next year.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Video/Photo montage of Awesome 4 Day Cairngorm Hike

Postby skuk007 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Yep, great video. Sort of makes my mind up to plan a trip there next year. Thanks. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:56 pm

Great report,pics,vid makes my effort look mince :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Really enjoyable report, thanks :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:15 pm

We likes it, precious.... You have great imagination and an art for detail
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Michael Cook » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:43 am

Hey thanks guys. This is my first report here so glad you like it
Michael Cook

Postby mountainstar » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:20 am

Terrific report....pictures....video....and walk :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby monty » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:17 pm

Big walk with big packs. Excellent. Interesting photo montage with background music. Must have took a bit of effort to put that together. :D I done most of these hills in the past month or so but was in the clag for most of it. Nice to see them in the open :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland