walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crappich hill and Balnacoul Castle

Crappich hill and Balnacoul Castle

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Date walked: 07/04/2017

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 743m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

On the Western side of Glen Lednock lie a series of small heathery hills (tumps) which make up for their small size by their steepness and character. I had traversed some of them the previous weekend but the boggy continuation to The Girron and St.Fillans by loch Boltachan was a bit long and dreary, so I looked for a slightly shorter circular walk.
N.B. To see the full details including walls and fences you need to open the map in gpx planner and go to the 1:25000 version.
3900.jpg
Main route in blue; descent and reascent in red
I started where the "Comrie circular walk" crosses the road up the glen, walked up the path that crosses the zig zag track and just beyond the first gate headed Right up a grassy track between exclosures. Where this track went Left I carried on up a little gully to a flat area with better views of the first summit Sgorr Racaineach. A landrover track headed off L and as the direct ascent looked a bit daunting, I followed it for a couple of hundred metres befre heading Right. A roe deer dashed off ahead of me
3965.jpg
Start
3971.jpg
Sgorr Racaineach from near the start
3974.jpg
Looking across and up the glen from near the first gate
3977.jpg
Up the grassy track
3980.jpg
Then this little gully
3981.jpg
To a flat area
3983.jpg
Sgorr Racaineach
3992.jpg
This landrover track has clearly been here for some time but is not on any map
3995.jpg
Looking up the track to Chapel pass
3996.jpg
I headed up here
3999.jpg
It still looks steep but a grassy gully just out of sight led easily up to the heathery plateau
4004.jpg
On the plateau of Sgorr Racaineach
All the heather on these hills seems "original": there is no sign of "muirburn" anywhere, but a faint path follows the high ground almost all the way - greatly easing progress :D
4007.jpg
Summit cairn of Sgorr Racaineach (405m) looking on towards Crappich hill: beyond here the path drops slightly Left and climbs the ridge on the extreme left of the picture
4009.jpg
Looking back from the first cairn on Crappich hill
4013.jpg
Looking on along the path to the main top (443m)
4015.jpg

I decided to bypass the top of Am Binnein - just going over the shoulder and on up to Sgairneach Mor (490m)
4018.jpg
Looking back from Sgairneach Mor- 2 hrs to here: Am Binnein is the rocky lump on the Left
4021.jpg
Wider view - Ben Chonzie back left
4023.jpg
On towards Creag Liath (499m) - Balnacoul castle behind
On the previous occasion i had continued on to the 499m summit of Creag Liath, but in order to progress , you have retrace your steps for some way along the deer fence, and cross to the North of the stock fence beyond
4026.jpg
The stock fence and where the fences join Craig nan Eun left and Balnacoul castle come properly into view across a wide col: the forest comes right up to the ridge at this point
4032.jpg
Balnacoul Castle from near the bottom of the slightly boggy dip: there are several obvious paths on the slope
4035.jpg
Looking back from near the top
4038.jpg
The summit looking North to the reservoir and the Lawers group - 3 hours to here
4041.jpg
Looking back again
Unfortunately at this point one of my heels was very sore - still don't know why :? I sat the summit for half an hour or so and then decided to head back to the car and return to complete the walk later. East of the summit there is a dip and another slight rise: a broad rocky ridge then descends quite steeply.
4044.jpg
A slight rise beyond a dip
4045.jpg
Looking down the ridge - Ben Chonzie behind
I descended to a flat section and then headed Right: I was a bit concerned that the descent might be quite steep and awkward, but a broad easy ramp apeared and I had no problem hobbling down :) A path continued past the little building at Balnacoul, across the bridge, past West Ballindalloch and on thru fields south of East Ballindalloch to a gate on to the road
4051.jpg
I headed right, when a broad easy ramp appeared
4052.jpg
Derelict buildings at West Ballindalloch :(
I walked down the road but was soon offered a lift by a couple of lady munroists who were bagging the odd Corbett :D - I forgot to ask whether they were Walkhighlanders

3900.jpg
Main route in blue; descent and reascent in red
A few days later I returned and parked at the roadhead carpark. Again I got a lift from someone who had just done Ben Chonzie :D I returned the same way through the fields, over the bridge, up the ramp and the ridge to Balnacoul castle and "reset the clock"
4055.jpg
Balnacoul castle from further down the road and from West Ballindalloch
4077.jpg
A view South from the ridge
4080.jpg
And North to the reservoir and beyond
4083.jpg
Approaching the summit - another little path through the heather
4086.jpg
Looking across to Craig nan Eun: the stock fence is right of centre
4095.jpg
Craig nan Eun summit - looking back to Balnacoul Castle
4096.jpg
Looking North over the 580m Wester summit to the Lawers group
I descended to the beallach climbed the North side of the stockfence, crossed through a gate where it went right and up to the 587m top.
4098.jpg
Loch Boltachan from the wester summit - Ben More and Stobinian at the back
4110.jpg
North to the Tarmachan and Lawers hills
I then walked over to the Wester summit (1 hour from Balnacoul Castle) and descended roughly North West towards the obvious bridge over the river.
4111.jpg
I headed straight for the bridge
4114.jpg
Once over the river it was a simple walk back to the car - another hour from the Wester top
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Crappich hill and Balnacoul Castle

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Great to see a report on these hills - brings back great memories as I used to take my grandfathers collie on this route many many years ago. Used to cycle over to Comrie (from Crieff) then we would walk through the woods coming out on the Glen Lednock road near the monument, we would then walk over these hills and come out at the far end of Loch Lednock. From there we would go round the far side of the loch then back down the road - he always slept well after one of my walks !!

Your lucky to have all these hills on your doorstep - I'm envious.............
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby LoveWalking » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:21 pm

A nicely timed report - I've been meaning to get up there for a while now. Thanks for the useful route info and excellent photos.
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Great to see a report on these hills - brings back great memories as I used to take my grandfathers collie on this route many many years ago. Used to cycle over to Comrie (from Crieff) then we would walk through the woods coming out on the Glen Lednock road near the monument, we would then walk over these hills and come out at the far end of Loch Lednock. From there we would go round the far side of the loch then back down the road - he always slept well after one of my walks !!

Your lucky to have all these hills on your doorstep - I'm envious.............

I thought you'd like this one Gordie - but you walked about four times as far as I - no wonder the poor dog was tired :lol:
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 pm

LoveWalking wrote:A nicely timed report - I've been meaning to get up there for a while now. Thanks for the useful route info and excellent photos.

Hi Love Walking - you describe yourself as a "wanderer" and I think you'l love this - it's a poor place for peak baggers but wonderful for wanderers :) - There's around 300 sq.km of moorland available - all the way to Loch Tay if you've someone to pick you up.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland