walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What money can't buy- Beinn Sgritheall

What money can't buy- Beinn Sgritheall

Postby Mountainlove » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 26/03/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1095m

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Have you ever had a day on a hill when you could have received a phone call to inform you that you won the lottery and your reply would have been ...great I will get back to you once I returned from the mountains...in 3 days.

It was a beautiful warm day when I arrived in Arnisdale. Quite the opposite of waking up to -1C and a frozen tent!
Now 2 hours later I was in my T-shirt and stared up Beinn Sgritheall in awe. What a lovely gulp steep mountain! Looking around I decided once more that Arnisdale was the most peaceful place I have ever been to. A few houses, a cute post office and lovely views towards Knoydart...what else do you need!?

A small sign indicated the way up the mountain and shouldering my pack I set off. Looking down I saw some foot prints which made me wonder if I would meet some people on the way up, as everything around me seemed deserted. The initial climb towards the bealach Arnasdail can only be described as steep, but satisfying. A few straigh'ish sections gave my burning thigh muscles a rest, but my main reason to stop often were the views towards Ladhar Bheinn and Loch Hourn...simply beautiful!

A herd of deer eyed me suspiciously when I reached the bealach, looking around it was a pretty small bealach but the point not to miss was the steep lump of no name. 'Och that doesn't look too bad I thought' and followed the fence line. Looking back I saw another walker who seemed to have appeared out of the blue. Moving on I expected to be overtaken in the next 5 min and was surprised when it did not happen. My fitness was maybe better that I had expected? I continued to climb and reached the scree. Oh how much I hate loose scree. Moving on taking a few steps and sliding back a few steps I cursed and made a mental note not to return the same way, it would be even worse down I reckoned!

On the way up, cracking views

Did I mentioned that it was steep?

I was so glad when I finally reached the point 906, or lump of hellish scree as I called it myself (does anyone has the
Gaelic translation for that ? :lol: . But the pain was soon forgotten when I saw the views towards the Knoydart peninsula, western Skye and the Atlantic ...simply some of the best views I have had and I wasn't even on top of the Munro.

Amazing views to walk towards

Loch Hourne and Ladhar Bein

I walked on and looked across Loch Hourne towards Ladhar Beinn which I will keep as my final Munro. I gave it a wave :wave: and continued the climb towards the summit cairn. Oh how easy the last part was and once I touched the cairn the views around me could not have been more perfect. In the far distance I spotted the Hebrides, the Cuillin Ridge, Rum the wild Atlantic which was currently a perfect blue and the glistening Loch Hourne.

Approaching the summit

Across Loch Hourne

Looking back

The road below

Mountains of Glen Shiel

The lenght of Beinn Sgritheall

The Cullins and Skye

Myself

Endless mountains

Panorama

Looking back there was a sea of mountain tops and most amazingly it was so warm that I did not needed a fleece. Beaming with happiness I walked around until I found a spot to have my lunch. The other hill walker I had seen a while ago had also reached the top and chatting away we compared the hills we had climbed in the past. Since we had decided to walk back the same way, we continued together, which again made the downhill walk pleasant. It also seemed much easier and I was relived that another scree part wasn't on the agenda. The forest which followed however was mental. Impossible steep but rather magical as well. Clinging to trees we had our way down and were glad once we had reached the road which led us back to the cars. Looking back it was one of the best walks I have had and fingers crossed we will all be blessed with weather like that again.

Through the crazy forest

What a lovely place

Last edited by Mountainlove on Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: What money can't buy- Beinn Sgritheall

Postby JEfoundmybootsagain » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:50 pm

ML, the views you got were sensational. Beautiful photos on an absolutely stunning day to be out. Well jealous. If I won the lottery i'd retire and live there it looks so nice. Ladhar Bheinn for your compleation would be a cracker and at the rate your going that won't be far away.
John
JEfoundmybootsagain
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Jaxter » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Oooh lovely, I can see what I missed out on :lol: :lol: definitely one to repeat :D

Cannae beat a good day like that :clap: :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Coop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Wow- how good does that view across Loch Hourne look
Well in
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 pm

What a wonderful day, even with the scree, and your photo's are outstanding.
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:53 am

@ John.. Had exactly the same thought when I arrived, saying that if I would win the lottery I would need to buy at least 5 houses in favorite locations around Scotland :lol:

@Jaxter..you have to go back at some point to get the views!! Just wish all days would be like that :roll:

@ Coop and Cairngorm creeper...many thanks :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby malky_c » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:43 pm

Lovely :D . Every time I leave the office this week, the rain starts :roll: . Best weather is obviously on the west coast 8) .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 am

Wow! What sensational weather you had. I don't understand it though: I'd been scanning the weather runes for the Highlands for the week before this, and all I could see forecast was snow and rain... I wonder if I didn't look far enough North...???

I gotta get up there, I just gotta....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:26 am

Lovely report Maja, this has to be one of t the best singleton walks for views. Ascending through the woods, is just as good especially in spring as it bursts into life.
Great photos :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Borderhugh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:46 am

Great report Maja. Weather/conditions looked fab. Forget winning the lottery, here hoping for many more days like these. 8)
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Some hills have to be saved for a great day. That's one of them. Great pictures :D
Sunset tripper

Postby basscadet » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:03 am

Looked so beautiful - I keep on forgetting that I need to go back. Compleated on this one, but thick clag for it. Doesn't really matter when your **** though :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Yorjick » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:49 am

Does the sun follow you wherever you go? If so, I should tag along! Fantastic photos and a wonderful report! :clap:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 pm

Love the large (clicked on) versions of the panoramas.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:03 pm

@ malky_c and Alteknacker...its when you realize that you forgot to change the date :roll: ...remember the amazing weekend we had end of March ? When I believed summer had started ,before winter returned...

@spiderwebb...I agree!! Would be great to see that wood in authum though!!

@Borderhugh...true as even in Scotland there is a greater chance getting good weather than winning the lottery

@basscadet...I remember that you celebrated your final Munro up there when I reached the cairn. You should go back on your completion anniversary

@Yorjick...supposingly only sometimes...but fingers crossed for the next trip

Everyone else many thanks for your comments!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

23 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland