walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Saddle and sgurr na sgine

The Saddle and sgurr na sgine

Postby Coop » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Sgìne, The Saddle

Date walked: 15/04/2017

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wow factor today.
Met up with the guides and 7 others where the plans were for The Forcan ridge and sgurr na sgine.
My thoughts about the amount of snow on the tops were confirmed. No Forcan Ridge, but The saddle and sgurr na sgine were still on.
On up on the good stalkers path and to the bottom of The Ridge. Bypassed this to the left and basically followed an old dyke/wall. The Ridge above us to the right looked fantastic. The bad step looked- bad!
The snow was getting deeper ( but made walking on the rocks a bit easier). On up to the summit and this was " full on winter conditions "
Bite to eat, group photos, look at the nearby ridge and todays 2nd objective- Sgurr na Sgine Back down the steep snow to the beallach following the kicked in steps we made on the way up.
Bit of an old fence line leading up, traces of a path through the snow and the odd tiny cairn or two helped on the way up to the ridge. It still looked a fair distance to the summit with one more top to go over. Up down and up to the summit. Fantastic views all round. Forcan ridge, over to Beinn Sgritheall,Skye and other islands, The South Glenshiel ridge- too many to mention.
Got a tad colder up here as my hands found out when I took the gloves off.
It was decided to descend back via the beallach rather than over Faochag.
Back the way we came following the old wall and stalkers path.
Made a change today as I normally go alone. Not doing The Ridge didn't matter today. Great walk, good people and chat today. Great views at times. Sense of achievement back again. Really enjoyable.
Long drive back through Fort William and Glencoe admiring the views again.

Cap doffed to The saddle and sgurr na sgine

Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland