walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Whee on Beinn Bhuidhe

Whee on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby andrew11 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 am

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 14/09/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 940m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yesterday was so wet and windy that I took the day off. Because today was forecast to be pretty wet and still up to storm force winds decided to avoid exposed ridges and went to Beinn Bhuidh. Really enjoyed it. Sun, rain, hail you couldn't walk in, glimpses of views and rainbows and wind. The wind on the top was fantastic really blew the cobwebs away. (and blew my camera over so I'm not in the shot on the top. Woudn't have liked to be on the top in the hail storm mind you! Just hid behind a rock till it abated. Dropped my banana but a lady walker (the only other one on the hill today) picked it up and gave me it back in the car park! Took the bike as far as Invercorachan (of course) and anticipated an easy ride back to the car park. Hadn't reckoned on the wind though! It was quite a peddle after the climb. Came down the track on the S E of the river and it is a much better track and avoids the muckle gravel pit. Also provided some welcome sustenance in the form of brambles! On the way down I saw a bird unable to take flight so I grabbed it and hoisted it into the air but it still flopped to the ground. Hope it's ok. I think it was a guillimot blown in from the sea. Maybe someone can cofirm the identification from the photo. I also met a guy fishing on the fyne. He had taken 4 salmon and a sea trout today and returned them all. He said that yesterday's spate had brought a new run of fish into the river. Anyway another excellent day on the hills. Tomorrow I'm thinking of Ben Starav to see how many I can do. That will depend on the weather and these old muscles and joints!
Attachments
food.jpg
yum
goodsign.jpg
I liked the humour
guillimot.jpg
I think
penguin.jpg
not
sunandhail.jpg
see the streaks?
view.jpg
there were occasional glimpses through the mist
vooee.jpg
just to prove it
y.jpg
plenty of water coming down. A couple of tricky crossings as a result.
fromtarbet.jpg
on way back to Tyndrum
andrew11
Walker

Munros:143   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Whee on Beinn Bhuidhe

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Andrew

Just did Beinn Bhuidhe myself on Monday, took the bike as well and enjoyed it even though the weather wasn't the best. Did you see the highland cows and calfs? I did Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich on Thursday as well, again on the bike which was a bit if a slog getting up that steep hill towards the dam but well worth the effort for the freeride back down.

Outdoor Johnny
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:51 pm

andrew11 wrote:Yesterday was so wet and windy that I took the day off.

????? :? Must try that one some day. Not sure they'd buy it mind you. :(

I had cracking views of this one yesterday from Oss and Dubhcraig.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:48 am

I can fully sympathise with you on the weather - it wasn't quite as bad for me at the start of September until I got nearer the top. Must be something about the area round Beinn Bhuidhe and animals in trouble - walking the last mile or so to Inverchorachan after securing my bike to the pipe at the roadside I came upon a sheep at the side of the road which had managed to wrap its horn round the top fence wire and couldn't undo them; I gingerly unhooked the horn at arms length ready to jump out the way in case it ran into me but fortunately it ran off back down the road.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland