walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Family wander up the hill

Family wander up the hill

Postby Katylis » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 16/04/2017

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1344m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

:clap: We checked the weather report before we headed to Fort William on the Tuesday and read that there would be a foot of snow that day undaunted we set of on the road trip. Camping in Glen Nevis we had a stunning view of the base of the mountain as half way up was covered in cloud. It rained constant through the night but I was determined and rechecked weather on the mountain and the forecast was 1 cm of snow and -4 at the summit undeterred by the -13 wind chill we set off to sunshine.
IMG_9652.jpg
A couple of quick showers was the worse we encountered until we reached the Red Burn.
IMG_9686.jpg
Robert at the Red Burn
The water was racing a lot faster than I expected but it seemed to rejuvenate my husband and son especially as this was the first proper patch of snow.
:shock: Long story short we hit ice with no crampons it was lets say difficult and for all my determination I felt it was time to turn back at 1150m, but I was convinced it would be a shame to turn back now by fellow walkers. It amazed me as it always does how in this extreme ice and wind how total strangers band together and help each other. My fear was not the going up it was the return journey. The danger of navigating down a sheet of solid ice (and I'm a fearty when it comes to falling over!). Unfortunately we could barely see from 1 cairn to the next but we made it. It was so still the wind seemed to have dropped and we were able to grab a snack and a few photos before heading down.
IMG_9765.jpg
IMG_9785.jpg
Blisters the squirrel who accompanies us.
IMG_9767 (1).jpg

The wind started as we reached the 1st cairn and by the 2nd we were in a full scale blizzard. At one point I gave up and slid on my bum, a fellow walker heading up even offered to make steps for me with his ice ax don't think he would have taken me right down though! :crazy:
By the time we got to proper ground with just patchy snow my eyelashes were frozen and it hurt to blink!
17855326_1384800104896736_1229341852849955923_o (1).jpg
It is true to say 4 seasons on 1 hill and every emotion possible felt :clap:
IMG_9791 (1).jpg
Would I do it again maybe . . . . :crazy:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Katylis
Hill Bagger

Munros:24   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Family wander up the hill

Postby Coop » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Well done to you all.
My motto ( I've got loads actually :) )
Never underestimate the mountain.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland