walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn Route Update: there's a hydro scheme in the way.

Glas Bheinn Route Update: there's a hydro scheme in the way.

Postby GillSte » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:18 am

Route description: Glas Bheinn from Kinlochleven

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Kinlochleven)

Date walked: 18/04/2017

Distance: 20.75 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is lovely walk, and others have described it very well, with good pictures. This note is just to warn you that there's a hydro scheme under construction at the outflow of Loch Eilde Mor. :( The bridge has been removed, and you cannot cross the new dam. The river crossing is easy in dry-ish conditions but might be hard in spate.

The hardest bit is getting across the new hydro pipe, plastic and slippy, and in a deep, soft-sided trench. Getting on top of it is easy but it's a long way down off the top. :shock: There's a way under it if you walk along it towards the dam, but be careful, as you have to climb over loose boulders and wriggle through a gap. :shock: As an afterthought :? , the contractors have bulldozed a pile of soft wet spoil to nicely block the end of the path.

Once past all of that, the route onwards is easy. I thought the stalkers path was pretty good really. It's easy to dodge the wet bits, and in much better condition compared with many of the horror shows on some Munros. :D

All in all, you might find it more pleasant to go up the Ciaran path to the Blackwater dam and take the hill path on that side.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Re: Glas Bheinn Route Update: there's a hydro scheme in the

Postby Jaxter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm

This may be of interest to folk at the Meet this weekend, thank Gill :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 am

GillSte wrote:This is lovely walk, and others have described it very well, with good pictures. This note is just to warn you that there's a hydro scheme under construction at the outflow of Loch Eilde Mor. :( The bridge has been removed, and you cannot cross the new dam. The river crossing is easy in dry-ish conditions but might be hard in spate.

The hardest bit is getting across the new hydro pipe, plastic and slippy, and in a deep, soft-sided trench. Getting on top of it is easy but it's a long way down off the top. :shock: There's a way under it if you walk along it towards the dam, but be careful, as you have to climb over loose boulders and wriggle through a gap. :shock: As an afterthought :? , the contractors have bulldozed a pile of soft wet spoil to nicely block the end of the path.

Once past all of that, the route onwards is easy. I thought the stalkers path was pretty good really. It's easy to dodge the wet bits, and in much better condition compared with many of the horror shows on some Munros. :D

All in all, you might find it more pleasant to go up the Ciaran path to the Blackwater dam and take the hill path on that side.

Many thanks for posting, this is one I had on my list for the weekend, taken note of your comments, ta for posting.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:19 am

Another option is to follow the track to the E end of Loch Eilde Mor and go up from there. I've come down that way to make a bit of a circuit.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 am

Taken from another site.

Monday 10 April I followed the SMC route from Kinlochleven from the waterfall car park. However, there are extensive hydro works at Loch Eilde Mor. I scouted around them, but they are impassable.

Still, I then walked along the loch, on a broad firm track, to the far end. A brand new causeway has been built up, and crossing here is no problem at all. It is a bit of a slog direct up to the summit. But there were fantastic views all round, in between a few snow flurries
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 pm

The access officer is heading up to check this tomorrow - the access agreement with the developer should include being able to cross using the old route on the historic stalkers' paths. We've a temporary note on the Walkhighlands route about the issue.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland