walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The magnificent Buachaille

The magnificent Buachaille

Postby matt_outandabout » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:13 am

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 18/04/2017

Time taken: 4.5 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the last day of Easter holidays, and not not be wasted with a good forecast. The lads were hauled out of bed and into the car with all the usual slowness and objections :crazy: In addition, our 'big' car was broken, so we all squeezed in the Mighty Ibiza for the jaunt up to Glencoe. On the way, the rain came down, clouds low and fresh snow had us all discussing heading for the Glencoe Lochan instead...
ImageBuachaille Etive Mor by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

On arrival, it was clearing up and we could see the summit. My only concern was how much snow there was - we are not winter walk equipped or the lads trained, so a small amount of snow is fine - but ice or lots is not fine. Decision made - we get up to the headwall with what looked like old cornice and made a decision there to continue or not.

The brutal clamber up the gully was actually dispatched with quite quickly, in warming weather and shade retreating as the sun rose to require suncream and shades in only a few degrees. We all enjoyed the rocky nature of the gully - with me quietly noticing how many folk were heading up/down the snow bank.

The snow was the only bit that was not pleasant - crumbly, gritty old snow that moved a lot under feet. Most folk had gone straight up a 20' odd slope, leaving a track. Myself and middle son chose a shorter, and more secure it transpired, route from the top of the rocks. It required more bottle, but was significantly safer in the event of a slip.

The lads normally hang around to watch us scramble up, but today they disappeared - completely (and rightly) distracted by the fantastic view. Lunch No.1 was in order.

The nip up to the summit of Stob Dearg was through a dusting of fresh snow, enjoying the views and trying to slow down the lads, who were arguing about who would be first to the top....Lunch No.2 was enjoyed, with the boys taking great delight in using hot orange to make 'yellow snow', and then freaking their mother by eating it... :lol:

The top was full of folk, including a couple who had come up by Curved Ridge who commented that it was a rather frightening trip, with snow just dusting the more challenging bit...

Pic of the day.

We jogged back to the col, with the aim of heading over to Stob na Brioge. Lunch No.3 was had here, basking in the sun but watching the weather close in on Ben Nevis in the distance. Here we also had a revolt on our hands, and so after a brief sojurn along the ridge to the foot of Stob na Doire, we had a decision to make...In the end it was a family decision to head down, and come back another day for the other hills (yah boo!)...in the event this was not a bad decision as the weather would have closed in on us by the end of a late day.

The gully down proved longer than up. Disappointingly on the way up and down I was picking up rubbish - mainly energy gel and bar wrappers, but plastic bottles, a t-shirt, tissues and a couple of cans were all in my bag by the end of the day. So frustrating to see such a place disrespected.

Once back down through snow flurries, one of the lads found the most comfy place next to the river to await his parents return...

The day was a classic - and one I hope the boys will remember and be motivated by in future.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Re: The magnificent Buachaille

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:44 pm

Magnificent indeed! One of those hills whose first view sets the pulse racing every time! If this doesn't stay with your lads, nothing will! What a day to be out in the hills!

I suppose you were out on the Monday, rather than the Today. I was looking across towards Glencoe from the Orchy group in the afternoon, and the lighting was just sensational - as it is on your pics also.

I certainly found the light dusting of snow "interesting", turning, as it did, steep grass slopes and mild scrambles into potentially quite serious slip situations. I was very pleased to have my axe with me!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: The magnificent Buachaille

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:24 pm

Great photos there, looks like a superb family day out.

Drove past about 9.30 yesterday morning. The Big Shepherd of Etive looked fabulous, so very jealous.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland