walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First post - Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime

First post - Beinn Narnain, Beinn Ime

Postby rockhopper » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:14 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 14/08/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1540m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report so hopefully I'll get better over time. I've only recently got the walking bug again after many years off (family growing up) - used to walk more in my younger days (in the 1980's !).

Beinns I & N.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

[Track simplified by reducing number of trackpoints to fit]

Anyway, got up at 0430 on a perfect late summer's day, had breakfast and headed up to Arrochar - was parked and walking before 0700 as I needed to be back home by 1400hrs. Having previously walked up the Cobbler some time ago, I wanted to climb the hills beside it. The Beinn Narnain track start is just after the start of the main Cobbler track but is a bit hidden. It was rather wet in places due to recent rain and tended to appear/disappear from time to time but it's a straightforward climb to the top. Great views down the lochs and over to Ben Lomond.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Then headed down North West but instead of going up Beinn Ime I went further down and then headed up the north east approach to the Cobbler as it was such a lovely day - after getting to just under the north peak and conscious of time, I headed back down and then up Beinn Ime - ground was soft going with little in the way of tracks, boggy in places but not difficult.

6.JPG

7.JPG

After that it was a relatively easy decent down Beinn Ime. Now around midday, I started to meet some people on their way up - very busy from then on and the weather was fantastic.

8.JPG

9.JPG
Last edited by rockhopper on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Re: First post

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Excellent trip Rockhopper. Was the path okay, quite easy to navigate? The weather looked fab for your walk. Did you do it on your own?

(Sorry about all the questions)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:45 pm

Great first report and photos - about the only think I'd add is names of where the photos are (either rename the photos or use the comment line when you add them to the site) :D
mountain coward

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks m c - I tried adding a caption to the gpx map but it didn't show up so gave up on the photos - will have a shot next time (might be doing something wrong)

Merry walker - the path up Beinn Narnain was more of a stream in places due to recent rain and it also tended to disappear and reappear further up as well as being boggy. The descent was a mix of rocky and boggy but it's not difficult to see where you're going (in clear weather). Ascent of Beinn Ime - again the track disappeared at times on the lower levels but you can pick it up again. I use a gps and tend to draw my track on the PC and download it to the gps before starting so that I can follow it unless I want to vary the course. [Thinking back, last year I went up Ben Vane and Ben Vorlich on separate occasions with my 11 year old son - he managed them both and the going was a lot harder than Narnain and Ime.] I went up these two this time on my own so that I could make an early start.

The weather made all the difference. On my way down I met a lot of people but I'd say most were cobbler bound - there were some on Ime but not many. You do start from sea level so the climb is greater than on some munros but there aren't really any tricky bits.

Happy walking
rockhopper

Postby monty » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:30 am

Hi Rockhopper,
Nice first report. Shame you didn't get to the top of the Cobbler but good walk none the less. You can always walk it another day. As MC says if you rename your photos with the caption, ie. 09.jpg becomes beinn narnain summit.jpg then you dont have to bother with a caption when you upload them. It also makes it easier when you look back through them in the future. :D

Nice set of pictures :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Thanks Monty - I've been up the cobbler twice before so wasn't bothered - just wanted to spend a bit more time walking a bit more than planned because the weather and views were so good that day.
Cheers
rockhopper

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Cheers hun, what a beautiful walk you had, you were blessed.

I really loved the pictures, thank you xx
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland