walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 different ways to climb Strathfarrar 4

3 different ways to climb Strathfarrar 4

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Route description: Glen Strathfarrar Munros circuit

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Strathfarrar), Sgùrr a' Choire Ghlais, Sgùrr Fhuar-thuill, Sgùrr na Ruaidhe

Date walked: 15/04/2017

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2475m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

...or a complete Munro count mix up 8) :lol:

There are always those few Munros which you push aside because of distance from home, time required, or difficulty. For some of those reasons I had kept on pushing the Strathfarrar 4 away, until it was finally time to climb them.

I had read a few trip reports and had made up my mind to climb them from the north over 2 days. It seemed a much better idea and and in my mind I had images of a large camp fire when I arrived, drifting off to sleep while watching the stars, waking up to a sunny day and floating over the mountains until I gathered my belongings and walked back to the car...

This is how my original plan looked like...

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

...Unfortunately the weather had other ideas. :roll: When I checked the weather forecast for the 29th time before I had to leave (just in case a freak weather change would bring the weather I craved), the weather was still the same..gale force winds, sub minus temperatures and heavy snow falls during the night and next day meeeh. :thumbdown: :( :-|

As much as I love wild camping, the thought of camping 300m high upon a mountain in a snow storm, was not appealing. So rather last minute I changed plans and decided to do the 4 the traditionally way via the locked gate.
I posted a quick message online to see if anyone wanted to join me, in order to have 2 cars for the 7km road walk back, but had no luck.

I had camped at the great Cannich campsite (surrounded by trees it was well sheltered from the wind and rain) and setting off in the morning I arrived at the locked gate 10 min before opening time. A gentlemen approached me and asked how I had enjoyed Beinn Sgritheall. In complete confusion :wtf: :think: I looked at him (my head was full of the Straffarrar 4) , until he told me that he read my last trip report ...the penny had finally dropped :lol:
Chatting away I asked him if he and his walking companion might want to share cars, but unfortunately they had other plans so I would have to walk.

The friendly lady gate keeper approached soon after and I drove like a mad woman down the glen (after all I now had to cover 4 Munros, a 7km road walk and the drive down the glen (a good 20 min each way)
With the limited time in hand I felt rather stressed out and the weather did nothing to lift my mood. It was raining and pretty windy and the few stunning rainbows did not help to cheer me up. I set off in full waterproofs and my mood dropped even more when I realized that the path was one long slog though bog and impossible wet ground. :( :(

The two gentlemen who I had talked to seemed to fly up the hill and I watched them enviously, while trodding though misery. Once I reached some height the first snow flakes started to form and I was glad that I dismissed my original plan of wild camping, as it would have been a miserable experience. I reached the summit of Sgurr na Ruaidhe together with a brief period of sunshine and some visibility , It was the first time I was able to take out my camera and clicked away until it started to snow again.

The summit view of Sgurr na Ruaidhe

The cairn with Sgurr a Choire Ghlais in the top middle

Walking on I was hit by the full force of the promised gale force winds. To make matters worse, the snow had turned into icy bullets and I was glad that I still had my ski googles in my bag. Thrown around by the ice cold wind I was freezing in my 4 layers and the promised wind chill factor of -14 :shock: was more than believable.

Battering on I followed the path, which lead me up another lump of a hill. I had now walked over 3 hours already and had not even climbed the second Munro. :? Taking some pictures of the excellent views towards Sgurr a Choire Ghlais, I evaluated my plan and for the first time. I wondered if I would actually manage all 4 Munros in the limited time I had, based on the bad weather? The 6pm closing time of the gate in April did really not really help. I walked on and when I reached the Bealach Sneachda I met the two gentlemen from the car park again.

Up towards the next 'lump' which was Carn nan Gobhar

Well protected from the wind

Panorama shot

View towards Sgurr a Choire Ghlais from Carn nan Gobhar

What a great looking mountain Sgurr a Choire Ghlais is

New snow is approaching

Exchanging experiences they told me that they would skip their original plans as well, because of the weather and snow conditions further along the ridge and only climb the 3 Munros.
Listening of their description of the difficulties ahead, I made up my mind to complete the remaining two another day. :thumbup:

Walking on I mulled over the hill calculation I had in my head from my printed map and and marked Munros. Something did not seen to make sense. :think: :think: :think: But it was all soon forgotten when I started the climb up Sgurr a Choire Ghlais. It was hard going in the snow I was glad when I finally reached he second Munro of the day.The views were amazing and for the first time that day I was able to see the 2 remaining Munros in the distance. The views were amazing and I clicked away until I lost the feeling in my fingers. Time to head back to the car.

Views back even with some clearer skies

Ahead to the remaining '2' Munros

The selection of summit cairns

Great views towards the Mullardoch Munros

Glen Orrin in the north

Myself in 4 layers and still cold

Panoramic shot

The way down

The remaining walk for which I will return

Panoramic shot

On the way down looking towards Carn nan Gobhar and Sgurr na Ruaidhe

The soggy path during a sunny evening

For my return walk I choose the decent down Coire Glas Beag, a steep and soggy experience. Once I had found a sheltered spot much further down the hill, I had a break and finally something to eat .
With no ore stressing out about time, I decided that I should have done the same approach a long time ago. Far more relaxing!!
7 hours after setting off I arrived back at the car and headed back to the camp site for a well earned hot shower and a beer.

Hello car

---------------------------------------------------

My return was 2 days later during a beautiful morning. Relaxed and well rested I got ready and watched more and more cars approaching. Oh how nice was the realization that I had time and did not had to rush...I would even be able to stop for photos in the Glen! :thumbup:

With the plan to walk up the marked path towards Sgurr na Fearstaig in order to climb Sgurr Fhuar-thuill and Creag-Ghorm a'Bhealaich I was happy that an easy day would be ahead. Stopping indeed quite a few times to take photos, I finally parked at the forest area pass Braulen Lodge. A few hill walkers had already started to assemble bicycles and one told me that he could have given me a lift :thumbup: . Sods law that this could not have happened 2 days earlier. I thanked him and told him that I would only do the two today.

The glen...what a difference

Further along

Lovely trees

Loch a Mhuillidh

Once everyone was ready they either drove back in their cars, with their bikes locked, or cycled and I was the only left to approach the hills from the west. How great was the path in comparison to the other day!!! Dry, well structured and a real pleasure to take with amazing views around me . Far better than the horror path which waited on the east side. I beamed even more when ten minutes into my walk I found an antler...what a great start.

Great path

A lovely waterfall on the way

Cracking Sgurr na Muice and its lochan

The path was so sheltered from Carn an Daimh Bhain and Sgurr na Muice that I was soon in my T-shirt. I could not get over how great that path was and the only bit which was a wee bit dodgy was the overhanging cornices close to the top. They were small enough, not to cause any issues, if they would fall, but then you never know. :?

Small cornices

Sgurr na Fearstaig

When I reached the top of the ridge, Sgurr na Fearstaig was only a short distance away and spin drifts were dancing around the summit. Mesmerized I stood and watched, before making my way to the top. Sgurr na Fearstaig isn't a Munro, but simply for the views it should be one and was well worth the visit!

The cairn that needs to grow a bit on Sgurr na Fearstaig

The '2' Munros

I returned once I had taken all my pictures and took a leisurely walk towards the first Munro of the day Sgurr Fhuar-thuill. In comparison to the first top, the views weren't that impressive and so I continued to the final Munro of the day Creag Ghorm a' Bhealaich. It was an easy way and yet again it seemed a bit too easy? :think:

[img][img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/BAtMre28BozwJIYobk_TE9nFzKHY9KEkMp7w104rMSDfg_oC08S8-RbsghJizcE_Ghf0h1k7RV-pNgYJ4eOyVyfA3EOduFb8p992y_qon0-8z6_fdHtiB0Fiu6kq--4FZSyySlL-INYO7mb9blkf1wRupF1g9GfqpZACUTYJtiYaBh7Fig-1ZSYPDsQx88jpu2vM0XBeA24yrFV_3BTIRrMw4oUcA8uWMEDbtI5Dsyp2xkKESgSXFE5OI8TSff1afHbsu5p1GoOsZmVadHykndUcl70s815UyqmmUC_dNwn2z7XbD3Jyf6xDYINs8dxFVnUnVSehvPKeZmLMIkHC_9zwAMtPLbhPDQcvk5Q9rAseMhld3yXFTTA8TEjb0KlQE6TZRCW3ivpBsbXKduJrA0ZKCNUUGZvoPVm_Qy5eeFzFm3TL5-7f8d-sy8JVwzcQvr9O2yLF3HpdIVpZ7Plcc0YaYwZWPPfBkwGhsAWU12SiTD2v2AlwWHBHwFqOx5E7CiTNYg3o4MYEkZu0mTilfWZGPqgvESdLUGfxRjXalGN5UP4F7vF3tKACboZTQqnux7EnL3tVfg7vvX4MJMmbt4MpKUYJYoKSLXGI93JwW_0VTW1g1crOrQ=w951-h634-no[/img][/img]
On top of Sgurr Fhuar-thuill

Moving on

The ridge

Looking back

It was all soon forgotten when I reached the top. Steep cliffs fell down to the valley floor, with amazing views ahead but hey I had finally completed the 4! :clap: I stayed for a long time enjoying the views and loving the fact that I had so much time. Wat a great day it had been!

View down from Creag Ghorm a Bhealaich the 'second' Munro

Panoramic views

Me happy

Great view down to the heart loch

Looking towards Sgurr a Choire Ghlais

The gentle slope down

Back on the path at the crossing for both paths

When it was time to go, I walked down the grassy non! soggy shoulder until further down I reached the path which lead me back to the main path just below he lochan. From here I returned back the same way and was back at the car in less than 5 hours.

It was not until I was home and checked the route in my Munro book, that I suddenly realized that something was indeed very different. :shock: I had marked the Munros wrong. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8)

No wonder why things had not matched up. Thank God I had climbed them all, but without knowing I had climbed 3 Munros on the first day and only 1 on the last one...no wonder that the path had been so easy 8) :lol: upsy-daisy.

Looking back I was glad that I had to return, as it gave me the chance to enjoy the glen the way it should be enjoyed and even had time to drive to Loch Monar for a wee look around.

Loch Monar and dam

The paths with the slightly mixed up Munros :lol: :lol:
Map wrong.jpg
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: 3 different ways to climb Strathfarrar 4

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:19 am

See you came to our neck of the woods :D :D :D Fantastic effort to get up there twice to get them Munros done! Some great photos as well, more snow than we had in January...

These are the hills we would like to compleat on - only 20 min drive from home. But we will take bikes and cycle from Struy... We considered your original idea, doing them from the north, but Kevin is a keen cyclist and he just can't resist the bike option :lol:

PS. You were sorely missed in Kinlochleven!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby apollo0815 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:26 pm

Didn't know there is a yellow version of Mrs Smurf, too :) Thanks for the nice report.
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:08 pm

BlackPanther wrote:See you came to our neck of the woods :D :D :D Fantastic effort to get up there twice to get them Munros done! Some great photos as well, more snow than we had in January...
These are the hills we would like to compleat on - only 20 min drive from home. But we will take bikes and cycle from Struy... We considered your original idea, doing them from the north, but Kevin is a keen cyclist and he just can't resist the bike option :lol:
PS. You were sorely missed in Kinlochleven!

Thats a great bunch to complete on!! You are lucky that you are so close to them..its a beautiful area up there!! Fingers crossed you will have a fab day when it arrived!!
Its such a shame that I missed the last meet...but we shall meet again on one of the next ones :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby JohnBSnr » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:39 pm

Thanks for your report, it's been really useful in helping me to plan my own outing. I can be a wee bit slow sometimes and, even with the longest day of the year coming up on 21st June, I'm not too sure I'd get round all four and back out before the gate is closed.
JohnBSnr
Mountain Walker

Munros:215   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:7

Postby bigkeith » Sun May 08, 2022 7:04 am

Really enjoyable and funny read 👍😀. Thanks. I like the look of your first option from the north. But splitting it into two also makes a lot of sense, frees you from the stress of The Gate and I liked that you had time to enjoy the Glen and Loch Monar. I hated the idea of rushing to make it back in time for the gate so I biked in and I highly recommend that option for anyone reading this - it's a decent, flat road. Easy and relaxing. Plus you can start earlier because you don't need to wait for the gate to open 😀😀.
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland