walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Stob Binnein from Inverlochlarig

Postby Handknittedbagger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:38 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Binnein

Date walked: 22/04/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 1644m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had attempted this mountain a couple of years ago by the route from Crianlarich and had abandoned probably less than half-way up, as the climb was wet and horrible. I had been looking at alternative routes on YouTube etc. and this route for Stob Binnein looked far better. The weather forecast was for fair weather and good visibility, so I decided to give it a go.
Arrived in the car park at Inverlochlarig around 9:45 and was ready and climbing by around 10:10, with clear skies and the sun starting to gain heat. The climb is full on right from the style in the car park, but at least the path was clear and not really wet at all. You might get the feeling from the tone that I am not that at home when the ground is boggy. Yes, I know it is Scotland, but I still like a clear path. I accept the scar they cause and the erosion etc. but feel it is a small price to pay for the pleasure that hill walkers take from climbing and I feel that the countryside is there to be enjoyed.
As I said the climb is pretty much full on right for the start, but I do not mind that and love gaining height quickly and enjoying the views that it brings. The weather remained clear and as I gained height the views began to open out and were spectacular. I had to work hard, but made the ridge, where the ascent is not quite so hard and really enjoyed the rest of the walk to the summit. The ascent took me 2 hrs 15 mins to the summit and although it was clear and bright with the sun strong, it was still quite cold, certainly not tee shirt weather.
The views on the summit went on forever and made the climb so worthwhile.
I spent a few minutes on the summit, only saw a couple of people throughout the climb, even although the car park was busy, will need to check what other climbs start from there, took a couple of pictures and had my usual biscuits and coffee, before starting my descent. Some suggest making it a loop, but I usually prefer to retrace my route instead. The descent was without event, except for the odd slip and one very soft fall on the lower grassy reaches where the damp grass we quite slippy.
In total the climb took me around the 4 hours. I have yet to conquer Ben More and will almost certainly do this via this route too, even although it means climbing over Stob Binnein to get to it, as the other more direct route looks such a pig!
I can recommend this climb as hard but very enjoyable.
Handknittedbagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland