walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two vegans up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Two vegans up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

by Chloeeh » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon), Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 22/04/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1277m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yay for Plant Power!!

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:15 pm

I hesitate to get involved in what might easily become a bit of a slanging match - often such conversations tend to entrench existing views, but I will add my tuppens worth about the health aspects from personal experience.

As a long time vegetarian, (with the occasional fish supper) I took up hillwalking primarily as a way of improving my health in 2012, at which point I was fat (90kg) and unfit, with high cholesterol. I loved the fact that hillwalking allowed me to eat what I wanted and still feel fitter/lose weight. When we started going away camping at the weekends I became more or less a weekend vegan as I was cooking for Allison. I got my weight down to around 70kg and was able to hold it there most of the time despite a "healthy appetite"

When i upgraded to full time vegan in January this year I wasn't expecting there to be much in the way of health changes. I'd been vegan for a few years before, back in 2000 and actually put on weight (chips can be vegan). However I have felt so much fitter in the last 4 months, have got weight down to 66kg (BMI 21) whilst still eating (and drinking) a robust amount of delicious food. Interestingly my body fat % has fallen from 18.5% to around 16.5% despite continuing to eat a fair amount of oily foods. So from personal experience, it's definitely been good for me to switch to vegan.

So Chloeeh - good on you for waving the vegan standard up the hills - whatever folk have to say about health benefits, there's simply no argument about a vegan lifestyle being a more compassionate and more environmentally responsible way to live. :D
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Two vegans up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain

Postby macq23 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Lovely report & photos Chloeeh.

Shame about the same cliché group of WH users that spoil the forums with their unnecessary comments.

Unfortunately this seems to be the norm these days on WH.
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby Avocetboy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm

macq23 wrote:Lovely report & photos Chloeeh.

Shame about the same cliché group of WH users that spoil the forums with their unnecessary comments.

Well said
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby basscadet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Yes always the same on the internet - I personally find it interesting how a bashing thread develops.
When I first read the report, I wondered how being vegan had any bearing on the rest of the report - most folk try and give their report a catchy name, with more explanation in the text, but in this case, there was nothing at all in the report about veganism. many readers obviously found the change to the norm confusing.. People on the internet don't like confusion, it puts their backs up..
The author writes back to say that they are trying to promote veganism - still no insight into the mystery of why there is nothing about veganism in the report however.
This lack of clarification makes people start jumping on the vegan bashing bandwagon - while its true nobody likes a diet bore - and I am defining a diet bore as someone who talks about what they eat (outwith their eating circle - that is the people you usually have your dinner with). The author didn't actually talk about what they eat, just referred to themselves as a vegan so I can't see how they can be described as a diet bore.
The author clearly thought that mentioning their eating preferences in a title would be enough to tempt people to change their lifestyle, which is a ridiculous assumption to make, and so left themselves open to an internet bashing. Sad the way it works, but it isn't just this site or anything - just the way of the internet and while many wish it was different, if you don't like it the only way to avoid is to keep out of places on the internet where people talk to each other :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Chloeeh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 pm

hull1270 wrote:What route did you take to bag these Chloeeh?

Just the standard quite boring route straight up then back down, then across the loch and up the other one. I've heard that the circular route around the loch taking in a Corbett is nice but we thought the shorter one would be better since we had a long drive!
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Munros:40   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Yay for Plant Power!!

Postby Chloeeh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

weaselmaster wrote:So Chloeeh - good on you for waving the vegan standard up the hills - whatever folk have to say about health benefits, there's simply no argument about a vegan lifestyle being a more compassionate and more environmentally responsible way to live. :D

Thanks for your kind and thoughtful response :D To be honest I was a little surprised at the amount of people going out of their way to write horrible comments because I've never had that issue on this site before. Well done on the weight loss and living a healthier lifestyle!
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby Chloeeh » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:00 pm

macq23 wrote:Lovely report & photos Chloeeh.

Thanks! :) Glad you like it. Yes I was quite surprised by the amount of nasty comments but oh well! It's their own time they're wasting.
Chloeeh
Munro compleatist

Postby hull1270 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 pm

Chloeeh wrote:
hull1270 wrote:What route did you take to bag these Chloeeh?

Just the standard quite boring route straight up then back down, then across the loch and up the other one. I've heard that the circular route around the loch taking in a Corbett is nice but we thought the shorter one would be better since we had a long drive!

Yes, the circular route is lovely. I did it on a glorious day last May. I would highly recommend it.
hull1270
Munro compleatist

Munros:278   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:31 pm

I also thought the pics and report were good as are most on WH. What made this one slightly different was the title. I'm not a vegan but have no problem with folk who are.
I think classing people as cliched is an easy way to disregard their views.
Live and let live. Don't take life too seriously. Try not to offend anyone. Most importantly though don't feel you can't say something if you believe in it. (within reason :roll: )
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby teaandpies » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:38 am

Chloeeh wrote:I used the word "vegan" once in the title... I don't think that quite defines broadcasting it but thanks for your input

Not broadcasting it? What's your Instagram called? What's youtube channel called? You linked them into this report and encouraged folk to watch. I had a look, the video is decent enough and is helpful, I rather admire your lifestyle and your massive weight loss achievement, excellent.

It was a pointless fact included in the title of the report, it was a random statement about yourself that was out of context and unrelated to anything that followed in the report which failed to give it any. Why does it matter you're Vegan? Is it because Vegans are seen as weird or weak (by some) and you wanted to say otherwise? Including the fact that turning to a vegan diet helped you lose 100lbs, which is an incredible achievement, that would have given it real context.
I'm sorry if you thought my comment is nasty (it wasn't). If you were a same sex couple would you have written 'Two gays up Meall Buidhe & Stuchd an Lochain'? Can you see why it's daft?

Being a Vegan can be as healthy or as unhealthy as any other lifestyle choice so saying you wrote it to promote a healthy lifestyle doesn't work. I just hope after stimulating so much discussion on the subject and promoting this life style heavily through your social media (I had a Look) you are the kind of Vegan that doesn't use any products that have been tested on animals (including feminine hygiene), made from animals or has palm oil in, or indeed eat anything with Palm oil as an ingredient otherwise it makes you a hypocrite.

You're not the only Vegan in town, I'm not (maybe a 5 day a week vegan lol) but my partner is and she manages to climb hills, operate a motor car and work a full time job without it being an issue :lol:
I recommend the Thug Kitchen books if you don't already have them.

Sunset tripper wrote:I also thought the pics and report were good as are most on WH. What made this one slightly different was the title. I'm not a vegan but have no problem with folk who are.
I think classing people as cliched is an easy way to disregard their views.
Live and let live. Don't take life too seriously. Try not to offend anyone. Most importantly though don't feel you can't say something if you believe in it. (within reason :roll: )
All the best :D

I didn't see any negatives directed towards the walk report it's self, indeed I gave it a thumbs up. I would agree that it's important to be able to express ones self and not be shat on however it's also important to be able to have a discussion on the subject, the definition of the word Forum is...a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

weaselmaster wrote:there's simply no argument about a vegan lifestyle being a more compassionate and more environmentally responsible way to live. :D

This may interest you. Watch it all.

Now roll on all the SJWs out there, lets be having you...............
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland