walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not the usual four in Glen Coe

Not the usual four in Glen Coe

Postby snowdonia7 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Coire Sgreamhach, Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 15/04/2017

Time taken: 8.3 hours

Distance: 15.7 km

Ascent: 2115m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The second day of our Easter Glen Coe trip and we decided to improve our munro per day ratio by combining two well walked routes - each of which took in two munroes. Our plan was to start with Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach then head for Buchaille Etive Beag via Beinn Fhada. Before the trip I had struggled to find many descriptions of the route apart from accounts of long distance fell running challenges (which might have appealed ten years ago). The descent from Beinn Fhada looked pretty steep and after our walk the previous day we guessed there would be plenty of snow on the ground to make it a little more tricky, but we decided we might as well give it a go.

My lack of hill fitness and the walk the previous day meant the initial climb to Bidean nam Bian was a bit of a slog made a little more difficult by the lying snow once we got over 900 metres. The weather also closed in when we reached Stob Coire nan Lochain and I thought we would be in for long day with no views; however, just before the last climb to Bidean the skies cleared and we had a few minutes taking in the amazing views in all directions.
Prior to final climb on Bidean2.JPG
A patch of clear sky before the final push to Bidean

It was pretty cold at the summit so we just stopped long enough for the obligatry photo.
Bidean Nam Bian.JPG
Summit snow on Bidean

We stopped for lunch after dropping some height and felt refreshed before the ascent of Stob Coire Sgreamhach, which seemed to go pretty quickly.
Stob Coire Sgreamhach3.JPG
Checking the way ahead on Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Fortunately the weather cleared a little so we could see the way ahead as we descended what might otherwise have been a tricky, steep little descent to Beinn Fhada. As we reached the ridge we could see across to our right the climb we would have to make to include Buchaille Etive Beag.

From a low point at 876 metres on the ridge of Beinn Fhada we descended pretty much straight down towards Lairig Eilde, spending an awful lot of time on my backside slipping in the slushy snow - I guess it would be a descent descent in fine dry conditions.

After filling up on water from the Allt we began the climb. As it was 'off piste' this entailed the (for me) heartbreaking pull up tussocky grass requiring high knee lifts and slippery shale (one step forward two steps back), but after an hour and a bit we emerged on the bealach at 880 metres. This led to a raise in spirits and a spring in the step for the climb to Stob Dubh.
Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)5.JPG
Glad that the climb from Lairig Eilde was behind me

However, we didn't hang around and headed off at a quick pace fo Stob Coire Raineach, leaving our packs at the base of the climb, which was probably more of a psychological advantage than a physical one.
Me on Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag).JPG

The descent was straightforward on the well constructed path all the way to the A82 and then all that was required was to dodge the traffic as we walked the couple of kilometres back to the car. All told a challenging, but enjoyable walk, necessitating some post walk refreshment at the Clachaig Inn.
Last edited by snowdonia7 on Sat May 06, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
snowdonia7

Munros:272   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:36   

Re: Not the usual four in Glen Coe

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Fairplay, that's a pretty tough day out! :clap:
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland