walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gemcoe - Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Gemcoe - Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Postby teaandpies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 pm

Route description: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr na h-Ulaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Lighiche

Date walked: 22/04/2017

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1344m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've been very lucky this year or at least I consider myself to be because I've managed to walk more than half of the total Munros I managed last year so far this year, obviously not breaking any bagging records or anything here but that's not really the aim. The mild winter in combination with decent weather windows falling on my days off have been the main reasons and once again today was shaping up to be another good one.

Pieplough would be joining me again. He's been out a couple of times himself since our walk a few weeks back in the Drumochter pass but this was my follow up walk.
Pieplough fancied heading back to Drumochter to do the 2 east side of the A9 but I fancied the west coast for a single, humm dilemma!
It didn't take much to persuade him to come around to my plan, I simply offered to drive so he could have a drink afterwards :lol:

We left Glasgow around 8am, usual traffic issues on the A82 (it's getting progressively worse as we approach summer). We arrived at the small parking area about 10:15ish I think.
SIDE NOTE: That white Ford Focus has been sitting for months now just opposite Tarbet Island. Anybody know anything about it?

There were only 2 other cars when we arrived, this was a relief as every other carpark on the way seemed rammed full as we drove through Glencoe.

Boots on and away we went. That bridge crossing is shocking, a panicked driver swerved past us and the shocked look on passenger's face was an indication of how unexpected we were on the road. I feel something should be done about this. Put a sign either side of the bridge warning drives of walkers on the road or create a safer parking area on the west side of the bridge.

A party of 3 had set off as we pulled. I got out the car and let out a massive fart, I didn't see 2 other people standing by their car :oops: We set off at the same time as that couple, there was an awkward few minutes where we were walking next to each other without speaking, eventually we picked up the pace and opened up a gap to remove ourselves from that situation :lol:

Parked up

Looking up Glencoe

The walk along the track to the house with the private gardens was easy going and then it was onto the by pass path...which was kinda rubbish, just flat slippery stones floating on mud.

A quick look back

Further up the road ends but now you have a decent idea about what you are about to face. A very obvious steep hill on your right and one on your left. Who's idea was this?? :(

Sgor na h-Ulaidh & Meall Lighiche

I wasn't going anywhere without having a bite to eat. We crossed the burn and picked a rock to sit on. Second breakfast was just a basic no frills sandwich and a handful of gummy Smurfs.
The other 2 walkers behind us continued up the path next to the burn, this would be the last time we'd see them.

This next bit was steep but before we started the accent proper we carved around the hill a bit to see if it was any better. No is the answer to that.

We spotted the party of 3 away above us and decided to head straight up towards them...this got the blood pumping I can tell ya :shock: We reached the 'first horizon' and we were rewarded with another steep looking section. We were in no rush, we ended up stopping to have a chat about Pieploughs upstairs neighbour for 10 minutes, this would be a theme of the day actually. We would chat as we walked then stop when the conversation got serious :crazy:

Gleann Leac na Muidhe

Even this early the views were great.

Looking to Aonach Eagach

The 'second horizon' was a little easier to reach, still steep. We had went a bit too far West initially when we started our walk so we had to make a wee course correction to get back to suggested route, it was no drama. The snow started and by the time the jackets went on it stopped :roll:

The open grassy approach to the Corbett was standard stuff, the final stint to the top was slightly narrow. We seen the party of 3 getting to the top but for us time wasn't a issue today, we were chilling.

Some of Scotland's best loved walks in the background...aaannnnd Meall Mor :lol:

Meall Lighiche proper

Beinn a'Bheithir

Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Apparently Ben Nevis only gets a hand full of days a year where it'll be cloud free but I always seem to see it cloud free from whatever hill I walk! :eh:

Cloud free Ben Nevis

Only the final wee walk to summit the jackets came off, it was roasting!! We met the party of 3 on the summit and had a wee chat. It turns out they were only doing the Corbett.

Pieplough declared it was sandwich time, I didn't argue. Munching away on the cloudless windless hill top was a joy, just excellent not to be fighting the elements for once.

A couple of snaps of the smal cairn looking over to the next target for the day.

We had stopped and discussed how we were gonna approach the climb up the Munro before even getting to the Corbett, the conclusion was one step at a time :?

Just as we set off to find the descent route the air turned really cold, clam as anything it was spooky...maybe the hill is haunted? Na, it turned out to be snow, jackets went back on.

Turning off the Corbett early and headed for the bealach, a steep descent wasn't as much of a bother as I thought it might have been we were down in no time at all.

Steep descent

A bit wet between the 2 hills, standard I suppose. The light snow had passed so the jackets were off again. I was feeling in good shape, ready for what was in front of us. The hill was dominating but we were feeling pretty confident so we went straight up the front following a drain. No regrets, we didn't run into any bother.

Facing the wall

Our route up

Progress was good just a few stops. At one point we stopped to chat about old friends and friends of friends from years back!

Glen Creran

Ben Nevis sitting proudly

Meall Lighiche

The further up we got the steeper it became, there were some minor hands on scrambling bits to do which added a element of fun on top of the grind.

We could make out movement of people on the summit of Beinn Fhionnlaidh, I hope they were having a great time.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Almost ideal conditions

On topping out we were welcomed by a dancing Raven. It hung in the air for a while moving sideways gaining height as it did so before moving off in the direction of the summit all without a flap of it's wings. How incredibly in tune with it's environment it must be. Something we can't or ever really fully appreciate.

The dancing crow

Showing us the way

No place I'd rather be

Still a bit to go

Pieplough looking forward to walking all of that!

Fence post path

Beinn Fhionnlaidh

I found out as I was on this hill (via text) that my brother was over on Ben Starav training with the RAF Mountain Rescue. It's been a few years since I saw him last so it would have been good if the hill walking gods had seen fit to have us walk the same hill on the same day but alas it wasn't to be.

The Glen Etive hills

False summit :crazy:

SNOW PATCH!

Vixen Gully

Bidean nam Bian

We had spent so much time taking photographs and chatting we did very little actual walking, between topping out and reaching the summit there was a half hour gap :lol: :lol:

Sgor na h-Ulaidh means the peak of the treasure but I never found any gold! I want to believe it got it's name because of the beautiful views you are rewarded with after that steep climb :lol:

Summit reached

Summit Panorama

Hi Pieplough

We dropped of the summit for a wee sit down, there's a couple flat squared off rocks that are perfect for sitting on. We spent a while enjoying having this summit to ourselves. I bet there couldn't have many people free summits in Glencoe today!

I suppose it was time to move on, well we had spent an hour on the top of this hill so...let's go :lol:

The next part of the walk involved a steep rough descent which required some careful foot placing here and there. Then after that a burst of effort was needed to reach the summit of Stob an Fhuarain. The summit was red and offered even better views over to Bidean nam Bian, that's a big looking hill.

Stob an Fhuarain

Another snow shower sweeping in but this one missed us.

Weather front moving in

Looking back to Sgor na h-Ulaidh

Bidean nam Bian

The Corbett

We left Stob an Fhuarain heading for the low point between it and Anoach Dubh a' Ghlinne, this is where we started to make our way off the hill and yes it was steep.

Time to get off the hill

Escape route

The going was rough, rougher than it looked and pathless. By now the day was starting to be felt in the knees, it's funny how quickly your feelings about a hill can change, all I wanted to do was get off this bloody slope :lol:

Eventually we found a path that follows along the burn, thank goodness it wasn't a long part of the walk because the path was crap.

Looking back up

Goodbye

The road was a welcome sight, we reflected on a great day out as we made our way back to the motor. When we arrived back at the car park the other 2 cars were gone. We got changed and it was time to head to the pub.

Road out

This would be our first visit to the Clachaig Inn, I was looking forward to it but as the driver I'd be on the soft drinks and as promised Pieplough got his pint :thumbup:

LOL

Smoky Pork & Chorizo Chilli served in an edible bowl

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Re: Gemcoe - Sgor na h-Ulaidh and Meall Lighiche

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:25 pm

A great hill Sgor na h-Ulaidh and sounds like a great day out. :D
About the bypass path around the property, I spoke to the guy who lives there last year (he is a hill man himself) and he had horrendous problems with hill walkers squatting behind his shed doing their business and also drunk folk who had been drinking in Glencoe camping in his front garden for the night. I wondered about the path and diversion when it first appeared but it was done with the full backing of the access officer. The path was made by the guy himself at his own expense I believe so its pretty good to be fair. There is a people counter at the beginning and you would be amazed at the amount of people who go up the glen.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby teaandpies » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:A great hill Sgor na h-Ulaidh and sounds like a great day out. :D
About the bypass path around the property, I spoke to the guy who lives there last year (he is a hill man himself) and he had horrendous problems with hill walkers squatting behind his shed doing their business and also drunk folk who had been drinking in Glencoe camping in his front garden for the night. I wondered about the path and diversion when it first appeared but it was done with the full backing of the access officer. The path was made by the guy himself at his own expense I believe so its pretty good to be fair. There is a people counter at the beginning and you would be amazed at the amount of people who go up the glen.
All the best :D

I probably should have balanced out that negative in the report actually. I might still do so because I did say to my buddy on the way out that the by pass path wasn't that bad compared to the natural one that runs up the burn. We were discussing if it was made by the house holders themselves. We also concluded if either one of lived there we wouldn't want folk walking through our garden :lol:

I didn't notice the people counter but there were cats eyes in the road which I found bizarre.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:36 am

RTC wrote:" 'No hawkers or Campbells' LOL."

I'm afraid I don't find this amusing. Try substituting "Campbells" with "Blacks," "Gays," Irish," "Women" etc and see how ugly it would be. There was nothing amusing about the Massacre of Glencoe.

Russell Campbell.

There was a time when that sign was for real but Glencoe has moved on.
If the people of Glencoe want to put up a lighthearted sign about something that happened a long time ago that's up to them.
Or would you prefer they lobbied the government to make an official apology on behalf of the Campbells.
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 am

Sorry RTC don't take me too seriously I genuinely like your input on walkhighlands (most of the time) and I apologise I can be sarcastic on occasion.:D
You are right about the sign in Glencoe but what I meant was there was a time when Campbells and others were not welcome in Glencoe.
All the best on your Saturday jaunt unfortunately Im working just now or supposed to be. :D
If I ever meet you in Glencoe or anywhere else I will buy you a drink. Take care, no hard feelings.
Sunset tripper

Postby teaandpies » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:02 pm

RTC wrote:" 'No hawkers or Campbells' LOL."

I'm afraid I don't find this amusing. Try substituting "Campbells" with "Blacks," "Gays," Irish," "Women" etc and see how ugly it would be. There was nothing amusing about the Massacre of Glencoe.

Russell Campbell.

I once saw a sign on a Scottish B&B that said no children but dogs welcome. I had a giggle about all the folk that would get their knickers in a twist over it. I conveniently can't remember where :roll:

I assume you've never laughed at any kind of inappropriate joke ever? (I don't think this is inappropriate personally).

If you take that approach to any kind of humour then no joke is funny or should be.
You've never laughed at a fat joke, gay joke, Irishman joke, disabled joke. Billy Connollys Muslim banter wasn't funny?

Where do you draw the line?

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/ ... mor-heals/
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Postby BlackPanther » Wed May 03, 2017 10:44 am

Miles away from the Campbell argument...

teaandpies wrote:That bridge crossing is shocking, a panicked driver swerved past us and the shocked look on passenger's face was an indication of how unexpected we were on the road. I feel something should be done about this. Put a sign either side of the bridge warning drives of walkers on the road or create a safer parking area on the west side of the bridge.

We had exactly the same thoughts about this bridge. We climbed the two Grahams (Meall Mhor and Sgorr a'Choise) on Friday the 21st, on our way to WH Meet, starting from the very same spot. Having to cross this bridge twice almost gave me heart attack :crazy: Definitely a dangerous place, cars go at high speed and it's on a bend so limited visibility.

Personally, I loved this M/C combo when we did it in 2015 (the very same route you took). We climbed too far to the right side on the way up the north face of SnH and ended up scrambling up a rocky chimney, quite exposed and lots of loose scree :? My husband called it "AE practice"... ha ha ha :wink:

I was surprised how quickly water levels dropped in the river... We struggled to get across on Friday - it was a raging torrent!
2017-04-21 walkhighlands 016.JPG
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby teaandpies » Wed May 03, 2017 10:52 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Miles away from the Campbell argument...

teaandpies wrote:That bridge crossing is shocking, a panicked driver swerved past us and the shocked look on passenger's face was an indication of how unexpected we were on the road. I feel something should be done about this. Put a sign either side of the bridge warning drives of walkers on the road or create a safer parking area on the west side of the bridge.

We had exactly the same thoughts about this bridge. We climbed the two Grahams (Meall Mhor and Sgorr a'Choise) on Friday the 21st, on our way to WH Meet, starting from the very same spot. Having to cross this bridge twice almost gave me heart attack :crazy: Definitely a dangerous place, cars go at high speed and it's on a bend so limited visibility.

Personally, I loved this M/C combo when we did it in 2015 (the very same route you took). We climbed too far to the right side on the way up the north face of SnH and ended up scrambling up a rocky chimney, quite exposed and lots of loose scree :? My husband called it "AE practice"... ha ha ha :wink:

I was surprised how quickly water levels dropped in the river... We struggled to get across on Friday - it was a raging torrent!
2017-04-21 walkhighlands 016.JPG

I clocked the 2 Grahams during the walk they looked massive.

I read your report on it, it's the reason we didn't go further to the right!! :lol:
I watched a video on youtube of a Dutch guy and pals doing this hill and I'm sure they done the same exact thing as you and ended up going up that chimney :roll:

It looks fun :wink:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland