walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aberdeen Street Art (Nuart Festival)

Aberdeen Street Art (Nuart Festival)

Postby RicKamila » Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 am

Date walked: 28/04/2017

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 6.55 km

Ascent: 69m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

If you've ever wanted to come and visit Aberdeen, or are looking for something to do for a few hours in the city then now is the time to come. Recently our beautiful city hosted the Nuart Festival where talented artists put street art, murals and hidden figurines around the city.

I won't tell you where anything is (unless you can guess from the photos below), as this is part of the fun of the recently held festival, and it gets you looking around and you can find things others don't see. I still haven't found a few of the artworks

I started at the Chapel Street car park and headed towards Union Street and immediately turned off on to Bon Accord Street. From there I turned left on to Langstane Place and followed it downhill as far as I could go before heading alongside the car park to Guild Street. I turned left when I reached Ladbrokes and went up and down every street in the Merchant quarters before crossing Market Street and heading up Shiprow. I walked up to Union Street and back down Market Street and entered the Green just after I passed the Aberdeen Market.

I went down Carmalite Lane and back up Carmalite Street before going in to the Denburn underpass to look for the piece of street art placed there (that's my only hint). Back through to the Green, I entered the Tunnels behind the Aberdeen Market and came out next to M&S. Carrying on to Broad Street (lots of building work there at the moment, but it is home to the magnificent Marischal College) and wandered down past the Police Street on Queen Street.

I turned left and left again at the lights to go up Littlejohn Street (the only real hill on this walk) and turned right towards John Lewis as I made my way to Joop's Lane. I went left at the end and then entered Charlotte Street a wee bit later. This continues on to Harriet Street and I crossed at the end, turning right and made my way along Schoolhill to reach Belmont Street. I followed Belmont Street to the very end and then turned right and headed back up Union Street before entering Union Terrace Gardens at the first entrance. I stayed on the upper level of the gardens and exited opposite the theatre before heading up Rosemount Viaduct and making my way back to the car park.

Below are some photos of the artwork that has popped up around the city.

ImageAberdeen Market by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImageBoy In Red Jumper by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImagePaparazzi by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImageAlice Pasquini by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImageStand Free by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImageShoo! by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImagePoetic Moment by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr

ImageTrippy by Rick Ellerman, on Flickr
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland