walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ghabhar

Stob Ghabhar

Postby U059361 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 30/04/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13.4 km

Ascent: 960m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've already walked Stob a'Choire Odhair on a much better day than today, so I didn't see any point in retracing my steps and my time is constrained with travelling to and from Edinburgh, so decided to walk straight up and back down Stob Ghabhar. As I walked towards the hill I toyed with the idea of walking directly up the grassy bank rather than beside the waterfall or even returning that way to save time, but I know only too well that route finding and avoiding bog or crags can make direct routes even more time consuming so I decided to follow the prescribed route. A small cairn on the path marks the turnoff for the ford and after a scramble down to the burn it is a simple couple of steps and then a scramble back out. I could see the path leading up to the waterfall and followed it easily.
ImageWaterfall at Creag an Steallaire by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
It is steep at the waterfall and the path winds its way up the slope. I stopped to look at the final waterfall that can be seen from down below.
ImageTop waterfall by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I then stayed on the same side and got to a point where I had to climb up over a smooth boulder with only a little notch to place my foot and grass to pull myself up. Not a good moment, so made a mental note, there must be a better way on the other side, not going to go back down here. At the top of the waterfall, it was so windy, the water was being blown back up the hill. A good look at where to go from here, another fence line that isn't marked on the map, the path pretty much follows it to the top. Good views back to Loch Tulla opening up but looking back I get blasted by the wind so just keep going up, wind assisted. Not good enough to photograph unfortunately, you barely see it.
It stayed overcast which was a pity but otherwise the wind was biting and half way up I stopped to add another two layers and put my hoods up. Better yet gloves too. The path cuts over below the ridge line and this kept the wind off for a bit.
ImageThe route to top ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Finally got to the top of the ridge and snow, the summit clear ahead.
ImageThe final climb by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
A short walk and up to the pile of boulders at the top. Great views all around now. The wind didn't let up though.
ImageCoirein Lochain and Stob a'Choire Odhair by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCoire Ghabhar by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageRoute to Sron a' Ghearrain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageCoirein Lochain by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageWalkers on Collour Buttress by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
ImageThe whole ridge route to summit by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
After looking all around and walking over to take pictures, I headed back down. Others were coming over the buttress so after a quick chat with each group I walked down to get a view back to the top.
ImageThe top from ridge by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
I contemplated going back that way, but needed to get back so rejoined the path I had come up and headed back down. Once out of the wind behind the ridge, got out my flask and had lunch, scotch broth, lovely warm soup.
ImageRoute back down to waterfall by Joe Kincaid, on Flickr
Then back down to the waterfall. I kept to this side of the falls and sure enough a deep gully of a path down to the bottom of the top waterfall and I simply walked over to where I had taken a photo of it and then retraced my route back to the ford, the dodgy boulder drop avoided. As with the last time I walked this path it feels like you are never getting back to the carpark as it is a bit tedious after all the excitement of the hill. Good time made and back in Edinburgh for tea.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland