walkhighlands

Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.

Three Lochs Way- In Two Days.

Three Lochs Way- In Two Days.

Postby JambuttyJones » Tue May 02, 2017 9:26 pm

Route description: Three Lochs Way

Date walked: 02/05/2017

Time taken: 2 days

Distance: 51 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We started this walk on saturday morning, 8am. Knowing it was only 18 miles (give or take) each day, and hoping for some beautiful weather. We headed off from Balloch and found the first part to Helensburgh really easy, so much so we were surprised that we had arrived so quickly. We naively expected the rest of the walk to be just as kind to us. The first stage was beautiful, and easy going. Not too many hills, and lots of nice easy flat bits of path.
After some lunch we headed off the Garelochead. We walked for a similar amount of time, but it felt like it took forever. This part of the way is mostly tarmac and it also decided to start raining quite heavily here. This part of the way wasn't greatly signposted along the road, however our OS maps helped reassure us that it was the right path.
We also had to continuously stop for cars, more so towards the end of the road. We finally made it to Garelochhead in good time, but the last mile felt like it would never end. We had cramps and blisters and all sorts by this time.
Our stay in the Anchor inn was better than could be expected! The beds where comfy, the food was amazing, and the shower felt like a good deep massage!
Day two, the pain had went away, and we carried on. The section between Garelochead and Arocher was LONG! There were a lot of amazing views, and the path underfoot varied, making it a lot nicer of a walk than the previous section. Tadpoles where in almost every puddle as we went past. We also bumped into two army men, who overtook us twice.
We cheered when we got to Arocher. Knowing there was only a few miles left. This was by far the hardest bit. We were so close to the end we could almost taste it. The hills just kept coming, short but steep. Which resulted in a lot of our water being drunk, and although we came prepared by the end of the walk we had barely any left!
This was the section that tested my determination, and will power. Knowing it was the shortest section, and having walked for 13 miles before this was tough! But we made it, over ever hill, with blisters on our feet. We made it!
This was a fantastic walk for my first long distance walk, and has certainly gave me the bug for it! I would recommend three days with this walk.
JambuttyJones
Walker

Munros:1   
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes