walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Running - Ben Lomond

Munro Running - Ben Lomond

Postby Avocetboy » Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 04/05/2017

Time taken: 1.75 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 909m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Cracking run this on a beautiful evening. Took advantage of being chauffeured to Rowardennan by my good friend, Boy Vertiginous, who bailed out on running the hill due to injury, but instead went for 2K swim in Loch Lomond (Madness!, but respect due!).
Ran the first 1.5 k, but had to fast walk until I reached the shoulder at 3k. From here it was a glorious run on a great path and a nice steady gradient until the summit cone was reached. Quick walk to get up to the East flank and was then hit by a brutal wind, but as the path crossed to the west, the gradient and wind eased and the final run to the summit was fantastic. Narrowish path, with a steep drop down to Loch Lomond and across to Ptarmigan. Summit reached in 61 minutes. Spent ten minutes having a drink and taking photos before the cold got the better of me. Hands like ice, prevented me unwrapping a mars bar, so I headed off down. As I crossed to the east flank, the wind nearly knocked me over. Descending the cone I passed another runner on his way up, mutual respect given by both parties (Hello Ross!). Run down the shoulder was great, but the last 3K were difficult with a steepish gradient, uneven ground and definite risk of turning ankle (Roclite GTX 386 did their job). I found myself running off track on the grass to make this easier. Run down took me a total of 45 minutes, which was significantly slower than I expected and was due to the rocky path.

To summarize, this is a fantastic run on a wonderful hill. A great way to achieve my 20th Munro. I think the photos do it justice

ImageBen Lomond by paul wilson, on Flickr

Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: Munro Running - Ben Lomond

Postby Coop » Fri May 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Great pics getting the trig point and clouds like that
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Walk cycle » Sat May 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Great report. This seems a good way to increase your Munro count. I particularly like photo no.10. I am considering Ben Lomond on my route up to Torridon in July.
Walk cycle
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Avocetboy » Mon May 08, 2017 8:16 am

Coop wrote:Great pics getting the trig point and clouds like that

Thanks Coop, I used to take my shoes off and put them on the trig point, but then realized the foolishness of such and act if the wind took them!

Walk cycle wrote:Great report. This seems a good way to increase your Munro count. I particularly like photo <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">no.10</span>. I am considering Ben Lomond on my route up to Torridon in July.

Cheers, WC, I have worked out that 14K is achievable in two hours, so much depends on travel time to the start and evening light available. My first time up Ben Lomond, its a lovely hill, with fantastic views.
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby roscoT » Thu May 11, 2017 1:26 pm

Nice one :clap: was good seeing you - a wee bit jealous you got some better pictures than me! :roll:

Bring on the next ones!
roscoT
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:33
Fionas:20   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland