walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A9 detours

A9 detours

Postby Benaden887 » Sat May 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Blath Bhalg, Creag Ruadh (Dalwhinnie)

Date walked: 03/05/2017

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 660m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Creag Ruadh 3km 330m 1h
Dalwhinnie 0600h. Shockeroonie After clear skies last nite, there`s a white clag on the A9 as inversion rolls up and over the Drummochter Pass. I park at gr673891 layby - gear up and cross a fence into white mist A surreal short walk leads to a sharp uphill climb. Having previewed the route up last nite when it was clear, I need neither map or compass but take them anyway. The weather icy cold - with a stiff NE wind, I`m wrapped up in full winter mode. There`s ground frost higher up as I crunch thro deep heather to grass then moss. The going eases as I near the top and the cairn is hard to miss as the air clears. Below a cotton cloud blows N up the A9. I can see tops of hills done years ago, the rest hidden in a haze. A brilliant sun in a clear blue sky I take a wee swallow then a swift return thro the clag to the welcome heat of the car. Seen enroute not a thing.

Blath Bhalg 6.80k 330m 2.10h
The clag has gone as I motor down the A9 and trade it for the A924 at Pitlochry. From road`s high point, I park at the radio mast - gear up then follow a feint av track to reeds then uphill over deep heather, easy going. The track bends E then climbs the W side of Dalnacarn crag a wee dip to rise up for the twin tops ahead. A bit of down and up of 30m then on to the cairn top where 3 fences meet. A piece of what looks like rail track and rock marks the spot. There are super views of NW Beinn Vrackie and beyond it,Beinn a Glo and the higher Cairngorms further N still covered in snow.and forestry SE.
This has been a bag an tag outing, pleased with those I climb in good weather for a change.
Seen enroute, Mountain hares now brown deer birds and sheep.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland