walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ullapool5-Cul Beag-Steep Little Hill(Now With Photos)

Ullapool5-Cul Beag-Steep Little Hill(Now With Photos)

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:04 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Beag

Date walked: 09/09/2010

Time taken: 3.25 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Quick – must get this report out – noone’s written one yet for this hill! I can be first in something for a change! :D

Stats: 6 miles, 2277 feet of ascent, 3 and a quarter hours (including breaks Monty :D )… Me and Richard on a quite wet and windy day…

On our last walking day of our week at Ullapool we were both feeling a bit “can’t be bothered” so decided we’d just go and do a single Sutherland Corbett. We couldn’t decide between doing Cul Mor or Beag - I felt it was still too windy for me to make much of Stac Pollaidh. As we couldn’t decide which to do (although I was thinking Cul Mor myself) we said we’d drive round there and see which was ‘out’ (of the cloud).

When we drove over the last rise and the hills came into view Cul Beag was out but Cul Mor had a stubborn little cloud hiding its summit. So, Cul Beag it was… I turned down the Coigach road and parked up at the foot of the recommended descent route from the SMC guidebook – but that was always the route I’d planned to do, even way back before reading any of the guide books. I remember seeing it when touring with my parents in their camping van and thinking what an easy little hill it looked from there and how spectacular it looked from the Stac Pollaidh side!

We booted up and hunted around for some kind of path – I was sure there must be something with it being a route mentioned in the guidebooks… All we could find was a tiny 3 rock cairn and a little scrape setting off from the roadside. Within 50 yards it had disappeared and we were just left with a squelch up the long, wet grass on rough and boggy ground. Still, it didn’t look far up to the top of that section so we just stuck by the burn and picked a way up it.

Looking back to car from Cul Beag ascent.jpg
Beinn an Eoin&Loch Lurgainn fm Cul Beag ascent.jpg
Ben More Coigach from Cul Beag ascent.jpg

It didn’t take long to ascend to the skyline and we were soon in a corrie with crags on two sides – quite a good-looking spot – we’d even found a little path with boot marks in the mud following the burn! However, we soon left it and aimed left away from all the craggy stuff and continued up on grass towards another col. From here the ground became slightly more rocky and flattened out a bit.

Cul Beag ascent - levelling out into corrie.jpg
Looking back again...

We studied the summit peak and decided to go up the steep and rocky left-hand side – mainly because it had a few grassy bumps leading that way and getting progressively higher so broke the ascent up into small chunks… I thought it looked very steep but expected it to look less so when we arrived at the foot of the final climb.

Cul Beag summit-ascent(L) descent(R).jpg
Meall Dearg next to Cul Beag.jpg
Meall Dearg fm start of final ascent.jpg

There were quite a few ups and downs and we tried to skirt most of them and soon arrived at the foot of ‘the steep bit’. It didn’t look any less steep! We discussed a line up through the bits of small crag and set off up. More or less immediately we split up into two separate tracks – Richard went straight up and I went further left hoping it would get less steep sooner.

Cul Beag-looking back along the ascent route.jpg
Cul Beag-looking south to Loch Lurgainn.jpg

We arrived at the top of the section around the same time onto a shoulder above the crags where a spectacular view suddenly burst upon us. Stac Pollaidh lay just past a pretty little lochan and looked very like a ‘thumbs up’… I got my camera out and started roaming round the edge of the crags (not too near though as it was very windy again and blowing that way) taking pictures. The next part of the ascent was just past a gully and looked spectacularly rocky from our shoulder. There was a very simple and easy route up the back though.

Cul Beag's summit fm shoulder.jpg
Stac Pollaidh from Cul Beag.jpg

We promenaded around the edge of the crags ooo-ing and aah-ing – the views were great in all directions – some of the best mountain views I’ve seen. Unfortunately, Cul Mor was looking very murky for photos but I still took some. When we reached the end of the summit promenade, we came to the one and only path on the mountain – the route up from the stalkers’ track and little peak mentioned in the SMC Corbetts book. I peered over to see how steep it was and was very glad we hadn’t gone that way – I might have come up it but there was no way I’d have gone down at that angle with crags around and under some of the zig-zags of the path. It looked awful to me!

Moody weather to Suilven.jpg
The Knoll & Col of 'normal' ascent.jpg

We aimed for the lovely little lochan between Cul Beag’s summit and Meall Dearg for our descent. That was a lovely descent – the hill had ‘slumped’ a bit and was sort of terraced so looked a bit like a naturally zig-zagging path down. There was easily-angled grass between the ‘terraces’ and we bounded down. We’d already decided Meall Dearg had to be climbed as well as it was such a neat little peak.

Descent to Meall Dearg.jpg
Meall Dearg & lochan.jpg
Cul Mor fm Cul Beag col.jpg
Cul Mor summit from Cul Beag col.jpg
Cul Mor minutes later in rain.jpg

Just as we arrived at the little lochan, the heavens opened (I’d seen it coming). We hunkered down behind some large rocks and put rain gear on and, while we were stopped, had a slice of tea-loaf and a hot drink. There was a great rainbow over Cul Mor but it didn’t really stand out of the murkiness when I looked through the SLR’s lens – I took it anyway… I took a few more photos, especially after we’d ascended Meall Dearg as it was a superb viewpoint looking back to Cul Beag and the ‘death path’ everyone else uses. Unfortunately I noticed I had lots of rain spots on my lens but know from experience that trying to get rid of them just causes smudges instead.

Cul Beag summit fm Meall Dearg.jpg
Cul Beag from Meall Dearg.jpg
Rainspots getting on my lens now:-(
Cul Beag-death route!.jpg
Cul Mor from Beag-still raining hard.jpg

Then there was nothing for it but to trudge back down the even wetter grass and bog to the car. The rain was by now running off my waterproofs and into my boots so I got back with thoroughly wet feet! No matter, it was our last day so I had a couple of weeks to get them dry again… We had planned to re-visit the excellent Elphin tearoom but decided we were too soggy and so just went back to the holiday let to get everything dried out before packing up in the morning.
Last edited by mountain coward on Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:17 am, edited 6 times in total.
mountain coward

Re: Cul Beag - Steep Little Hill (and First Report for it;-)

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Thanks for this one - I was going to do this route last year but failed to spot a suitable spot to park. Can you pinpoint it MC?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:34 pm

I'll get you a grid ref shortly (busy blowing my head off with some heavy metal right now so have to wait for the end of a track or something) - but we basically parked as far onto the grass as we could get at the edge of a very large passing place which had another one right next to it - possibly very naughty? But for the brave, the normal track (the stalkers track mentioned in the SMC guide) is probably fine - I just thought it was way too steep for me...
mountain coward

Postby mountain coward » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:46 pm

Actually, I don't need to get you a grid ref. really - if you look at your map on the Cul Beag page, it's at the burn where there's a spot height of 71... The double passing place is just before the brow of a downhill bit (don't worry - the parked car can still be seen by oncoming traffic). Alternatively, there was a proper place to back a few cars in further back up the hill (towards the main road) around spot height 113 on your map. We decided it would be too much tramping across rough and confusing terrain from that one though...
mountain coward

Re: Ullapool5-Cul Beag-Steep Little Hill(Now With Photos)

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:21 am

Now with photos...
mountain coward

Postby magicdin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:07 am

great photos MC - it is a terrific area is'nt it :D
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Alastair S » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:41 pm

mountain coward wrote:Now with photos...

And all the better for it. Makes me want to return to this fantastic area all the sooner.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby mountain coward » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:45 pm

It's a really superbly scenic area! You can tell that from that fact that, although it wasn't a great day weatherwise, the pics still look quite good (compared to my usual ones in the same weather)...
mountain coward

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 pm

wow MC, did all that take you just 3 hours or so? Amazing....

Ullapool is a fab area isn't it?
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Scotjamie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:19 pm

terrific mc - real inspiration to get back up to some of the most characterful countryside in Scotland
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:32 am

Merry-walker wrote:wow MC, did all that take you just 3 hours or so? Amazing....

Ullapool is a fab area isn't it?

It's a really short walk! Just a quick up and back. It would have been quicker in the clag if there hadn't been any views - I must have spent quite a while taking photos. Well worth a trip up - I'm expecting Cul Mor to be exactly the same kind of thing.

I love Ullapool to death - I'd love to live there! :D And the hills around there, in both directions, are superb!
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland