walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Quartet of Border Marilyns

A Quartet of Border Marilyns

Postby McMole » Mon May 08, 2017 12:08 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Belling Hill, Cacra Hill, Hownam Law, Linton Hill

Date walked: 05/05/2017

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 15.2 km

Ascent: 846m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not a quintet this time. Though my plan was to scale four Marilyns I did have a fifth prepared if I still felt energetic after the four. As it happened, I had to change my plan with my route for one being 50% longer than expected and another being ruled out.

Linton Hill - 4.8km, 186m, 1.1hr
Linton Hill route s.gif

The forecast was for a dry sunny and warm day in the west, so I headed east where temperatures were predicted to be lower, cloud cover more likely, and the wind stronger! And so it proved. A seven fifteen start saw me at eight forty-five parking for my first Marilyn of the day - Linton Hill. The minor road opposite the war memorial north of Linton has wide verges. After a check that my chosen parking spot was solid I was able to get the car completely off the road. From there it was just a case of following the track uphill to the antennae and the trig point - almost. As I opened the gate into the final field to follow the track I noticed that another gate through to the adjoining field with a herd of cattle was open. One cow and her calf were standing uphill from me on the track and were beginning to pay me some attention. I quickly left the track and, cutting the corner, headed directly for my exit at the far corner of the field. Mother and calf then lost interest in me.
P1010187.JPG
Cow and calf now ignoring me
P1010192.JPG
Approaching the summit
P1010191.JPG
Trig point
There were fine views all round from the top. In one direction there was a clear view of my next objective, four miles to the south - Hownam Law, while 15 miles to the southwest Rubens Law was another on my list for the day.
P1010188.JPG
Hownam Law
P1010190.JPG
Rubens Law
For my return trip I walked around that last field instead of through it. That led me down through a strip of deciduous woodland where I startled a hare and found a large badger sett with many entrances and large spoil heaps outside them.
P1010196.JPG
One of the entrances to he sett with the heap of excavated soil in front of it.
P1010197.JPG
Walking back down the track. No mud to be seen! Boots, gaiters and wet weather gear not required.

Hownam Law - 6.2km, 366m, 1.7hr
Hownam route s.gif
From Linton a short drive down the road to the east of Hownam Law found a lay-by just opposite the track leading to the remains of Elliesheugh. It was already occupied by a large pile of gravel, but there was still plenty of space. As I walked up the track I exchanged friendly glances with a few cattle quietly chewing the cud. After 0.5km at the gate into the first field full of sheep and lambs there was a notice banning entry until the end of May,
P1010202.JPG
Lambing No admittance till end of May
so I turned left and walked around it and the adjoining fields.
P1010203.JPG
Walking around the fields
I crossed the wall at the watershed and walked along its west side. Spotting some sheep ahead on that side of the wall I used a gate to cross to the east side. Near the top a pedestrian gate gave admittance through the encircling wall to the summit area.
P1010204.JPG
Summit
The views were not so clear from here with mist obscuring the summits to the east.
P1010205.JPG
Looking back at ascent route
I retraced my steps most of the way back then headed directly downhill to my car. As I did so I noticed a township of 75 small sheds with room for more being installed along with fenced enclosures in front of each. The local farm advertises sheep and ponies, but I don't think the accommodation would be suitable for them.
P1010210.JPG
75 sheds to let??
Perhaps they are for poultry? The consequence of my diversion around the field and through the forest was that I walked over 50% further than the 4.0km I had expected and climbed 20% more.

Belling Hill - 2.0km, 51m, 0.6hr
Belling route.gif
A forty minute drive took me southwest to park beside the Rockwood trailer still sitting near the access to Belling Hill. It looks not to have moved since it was captured on the 2011 Google Streetview image.
P1010225 s.JPG
Parked for Belling Hill
I had spotted a path on Google Earth apparently starting from near the trailer. I pushed up the bank and soon found it and followed it up over clear ground intending to cross what Google Earth's 2009 image showed as a felled area.
P1010215.JPG
The path through the trees
Belling aerial 20090513.jpg
Google Earth view showing path leading up from car park and through the felled area
It was now repopulated with closely spaced young conifers. About 240m to the east, however, there is a wide gap between them and the older forest giving an easy route to the summit.
P1010221.JPG
On the way along it a complete line of the older trees has been blown over.
P1010218.JPG
The line of toppled trees
No doubt a result of them losing the protection of the forest that had been felled next to them pre-2009. At the top a small cairn is appearing a few metres away from a corner in the wall, and I added another rock to it.
P1010220.JPG
The summit cairn
It isn't noticeably higher than other points around it - yet. By the time a few more walkers have added stones to the cairn it will be! On the way down I followed the forest track for a bit of variety.
P1010222.JPG

Cacra Hill - 2.2km, 243m, 1.0hr
Cacra route.gif

My next planned Marilyn was Rubens Law from the east. When I arrived at my chosen start point I found a notice asking walkers to keep out until lambing was over. I hadn't researched an alternative route, so I switched to Plan B and headed west to Cacra Hill. There were sheep with lambs there, but almost all were on the gentler slopes east of my parking place and there were no warning notices. The steeper slopes across from the car looked almost clear. I zig-zagged upwards finding a few sheep as I climbed and gave them more clearance than usual. I don’t know if they appreciated that or not. At the top only a few stones marked the summit. After snapping a few of the surrounding hills like The Wiss and Turner Cleuch Law that we'd climbed in February, plus a few still to climb I returned the way I'd come.
P1010228.JPG
The Wiss and Turner Cleuch Law
P1010230.JPG
Ward Law with my car visible at the bottom of the hill
A great day to be out in the hills with fine weather a cooling breeze and more objectives achieved.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland