walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Tarmachan Ridge

The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:19 am

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 18/09/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 750m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Headed up to Killin with a pal from St Andrews yesterday to do the Tarmachan Ridge and it proved to be a very enjoyable walk despite a bit of gusty wind and frequent low cloud. There are tons of reports for this walk and I have few pics so this will be fairly short.

Set off at 9:45 and after a very simple stroll we were at the summit of Meall nan Tarmachan in and hour and twenty minutes, easy peasy. From there it was time for a quick bite to eat and a change into the waterproofs as the low cloud had some moisture in it. We were rewarded with a few nice views of Meall Garbh protruding through the clouds but there were no summit shots on the munro itself as the worst of the weather seemed to be hovering around the top. From Meall Garbh we took a few more photos of what lay ahead and debated the scramble. Decided to give it a go and it turned out to be fairly easy, a bit damp, but nothing too dangerous on this occasion. With more rain or ice I think we would have skipped it. After Beinn nan Eachan we dropped down from the bealach and made our way back to the car following the route suggested on this site.

This entire walk is very enjoyable and things progress very quickly on the excellent path. It took us just 4 hours and 40 mins to make the circuit. We stopped for a proper meal at the Killin Inn, great spot next to the falls and on my two trips there the food has been superb.

Loch Tay.jpg

Meall Garbh.jpg

From Meall Garbh before the scramble.jpg

Beinn nan Eachan.jpg

Toward Creag na Caillich.jpg

The Tarmachan Ridge from Killin.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby jdmoore » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:44 am

So that's what Meall Garbh looked like! I was over that way yesterday as well but set off a bit earlier and the cloud was covering the summit. Enjoyable walk though isn't it? I'd like to head back there one day in better conditions.

Nice picture of the ridge from Killin.
jdmoore
Mountain Walker

Munros:80   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   

Postby snodland » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 pm

I happened to be up that way yesterday, too. I thought Meall nan Tarmachan looked quite impressive from the 2 hills next door to it (Corranaich and Coire Leith). Was pleasantly suprised as I remember walking the ridge 3 years ago and hadn't thought much of it. But a different day and more colour in it made it look quite nice - and the view from Killin is always good
Attachments
Meall nan Tarmachan from Corranaich next door.JPG
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Grahams:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby Stretch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:08 pm

I've got a similar shot from this past winter Snodland! Hope the bog around Corranaich and Coire Leith wasn't too bad for you!

Tarmachan Winter 2010.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland