walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Taming Torridon

Taming Torridon

by jupe1407 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:05 pm

Route description: Beinn Dàmh (or Ben Damph)

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Ben Wyvis, Moruisg, Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Ruadh-stac Mòr (Beinn Eighe), Sgòrr Ruadh, Sgùrr Mòr (Beinn Alligin), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach), Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe), Tom na Gruagaich (Beinn Alligin)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Damh, Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 29/04/2017

Time taken: 45 hours

Distance: 95.5 km

Ascent: 8816m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Taming Torridon

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Fantastic stuff dude, isn't Torridon just awesome :clap: :clap: I'm glad to have helped you get 2 weeks off work :lol: And feel for Rob falling in a bog right at the end...may or may not have done that on Monday :shock: :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby jupe1407 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Walk cycle wrote:Thanks for advice on the order. I'm probably going to stay in hostels too to keep the focus on the walking. :thumbup:

No probs. I hope you get the weather :D

malky_c wrote:Possibly the best week of the year to have been in Torridon - fantastic 8) .

Decent time for the etape too. It took me a good 50 minutes longer (plus some breaks on top of that) to plod round the route on a quiet day back at the start of January...and I thought I was going quite fast!

Cheers Malky. I think i've had three week long holidays in Torridon since 2015 and a single day where it actually rained. That's either reason to be very positive about my next week there in October, or very worried :lol:

4:30 was bang on what I'd hoped to do the Etape in. I almost did it to the second :lol: I just had one quick break at about 43 miles, plus I didn't have traffic to contend with on the A82. I drove up that way after Kinlochleven on the Saturday and having seen some of the driving/overtakes on it, there's absolutely no way I'd bike it on a normal day :shock:

Jaxter wrote:Fantastic stuff dude, isn't Torridon just awesome :clap: :clap: I'm glad to have helped you get 2 weeks off work :lol: And feel for Rob falling in a bog right at the end...may or may not have done that on Monday :shock: :shock:

Thanks Jackie, and thanks for organising the meet, even if I could only stay one night and be relatively sensible :lol:

I love Torridon and have a bit of a pipedream to live there one day, though this will need a lottery win or something :lol:

Falling in a bog during the driest May week for years is bad enough, but just to top it off there was a group of about 12 folk sunbathing on the rocks beside him when it happened. The whole Glen probably heard him swear.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby mamoset » Wed May 10, 2017 11:35 pm

That's an impressive TR jupe, and some cracking photo's too 8) :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Postby Jaxter » Wed May 10, 2017 11:39 pm

jupe1407 wrote:Falling in a bog during the driest May week for years is bad enough, but just to top it off there was a group of about 12 folk sunbathing on the rocks beside him when it happened. The whole Glen probably heard him swear.

Didn't happen to film it did you? :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby jupe1407 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:47 pm

Jaxter wrote:
jupe1407 wrote:Falling in a bog during the driest May week for years is bad enough, but just to top it off there was a group of about 12 folk sunbathing on the rocks beside him when it happened. The whole Glen probably heard him swear.

Didn't happen to film it did you? :lol:

If only :lol: It wasn't a full-on faceplant, more a right-up-to-the-knees one. Indeed I think he was the only one to suffer that fate all week.

mamoset wrote:That's an impressive TR jupe, and some cracking photo's too 8) :clap:

Thanks Mamoset :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland