walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

MAYDAY! Glen Etive! Perfect!

MAYDAY! Glen Etive! Perfect!

Postby roscoT » Tue May 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Date walked: 01/05/2017

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 1499m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

ben starav and glas bheinn mor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As May bank holidays go, this one was pretty great.

More delicious hazy sunshine tempered by a stiff cooling breeze in the forecast, and my initial plan on Beinn a'Bheither was changed in favour of Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor - my legs did not fancy a pathless ascent and tree-felling diversion. Not the earliest of starts saw me in Glen Etive for 11ish - a beautiful drive, although the road-surface was being re-done, so my wee car took a pounding. I have heard this week that a 'wild' fire (rumoured to be started by campers) has sadly decimated a lot of the land here :(

Anyway, the climb to Starav was quiet until the brutal wind came into effect at around 400m. Easy to get bogged down in a extremely boggy path on the detour around Coiletir, as I did on the way out, remedied on the way back. Brilliant views already.

ImageGlen Etive by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageRiver Etive by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

A bridge is crossed at the Allt Mheuran followed, past some lovely pools, to the bottom of the Starav ridge, which looks ominous. Most of the circuit from Starav to Glas Bheinn Mhor can be seen above.

ImageIMG_4238 (2) by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagethe day's round by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4358 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

The climb did seem to the a lot longer than i'd anticipated, with the at first light headwind increasing to a roar at about 400-500m. The rest of this climb was going to be a slog, and so it proved. It retrospect, I should have tackled this route the other way around as the wind was coming from the east, but hindsight I suppose is a wonderful thing. Still, when the ridge becomes more defined at 750-800m, the fun starts, and I enjoyed the boulder-hopping and scrambling all the way to the gladly-reached summit, where a hollywood view of Loch Etive and Ben Cruachan was revealed :D

ImageIMG_4253 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4261 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

Imagesummit by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

I was a bit more tired than I at first realised, and so stopped for a good while and ate a lot. I was joined by my first/only companion of the day from the opposite side - a lad from Gloucester who had escaped his wife and child for a morning and was doing a round of three. We chatted about all sorts for a while until we were sufficiently cold enough to get moving again! The ridge to Stov Coire Dheirg looked great and provided the most fun of the day - hopping over blocks happily as I made my merry way along.

Imageto Glas Bheinn Mhor by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4304 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

The bealach does drop down to a good 600m, quite a descent, before climbing to Meall nan Tri Tighearnan and then finally Glas Bheinn Mhor, happily reached.

The path home from here is a simple one through the Learg Mheuran, to reach the stunning Robber's Waterfall, then back to the bridge and the outward path, then the car, where I had a close encounter with an inquisitive pal!

ImageLearg Mheuran by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageRobber's Waterfall by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4355 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4338 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4347 (2) by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

ImageIMG_4357 by Ross Thomson, on Flickr

The only slight downside of the day was the excruitiating bank holiday traffic from Luss to Balloch. However, I was still only 20 minutes late for badminton in Glasgow. Most certainly had worse bank holidays - great start to my favourite hillwalking month!
roscoT
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:26
Grahams:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:5   Islands:15

Re: MAYDAY! Glen Etive! Perfect!

Postby Alteknacker » Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 pm

Nice one, Ros. Pity about the fire in Etive, otherwise a favourite spot....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:173   Corbetts:31
Hewitts:237
Wainwrights:100   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland